Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RhymeAnimal

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 4, 2008
Just have purchased the AWESOME new Mac Pro. This is what a machine:

Integrated Workflow [BAM!]
Mega Fast Ram 16gb Memory [BAM!]
SSD Drives like Thunder Light [BAM!]
And Oh, gotGraphics? How is Radeon 5770 For You [BAM!!]

:)Worth The Waiting, Thank you Apple!

bpd115

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2003
Pennsylvania
sarcasm.jpg

Simplicated

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2008
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

RhymeAnimal

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 4, 2008
I did this in 3 hours! FCPX is blazing fast on the new old Mac Pro!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1-51OZSZuA

This is nothing short of a revolution, thank you for sharing. I would ask about your workflow but that would be a bit like someone standing up at the end of a Houdini performance and demanding to know how he escaped.

----------

also- this was just forwarded to me by a fellow Pro user who is pumping that 5880, insane render times meant more time for post party-in [BAM] :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YI8SQidJdE

Dr. Stealth

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2004
SoCal-Surf City USA
Congrats !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just have purchased the AWESOME new Mac Pro. This is what a machine:

Integrated Workflow [BAM!]
Mega Fast Ram 16gb Memory [BAM!]
SSD Drives like Thunder Light [BAM!]
And Oh, gotGraphics? How is Radeon 5770 For You [BAM!!]

:)Worth The Waiting, Thank you Apple!

Unfortunately, announcing you purchased a Mac Pro in this Mac Pro forum will bring about the wrath of all the whiners that like to hang out here.

From Me.... A BIG CONGRATS! Thats Awesome! :D

akadmon

Suspended
Aug 30, 2006
New England
I think the bitching has more to do with the lack of USB3, PCI Express 3, SATA3 and Thunderbolt.

I really don't give a rat's ass (sic!) about Thunderbolt (the wrath of Zeus notwithstanding). I can get USB3 for peanuts (I don't know about the other 2 3s). I just wish Apple had upgraded the processors! They ddi not. I still reached deep into my wallet and placed an order for a "new" 2012 2010 MP. I'm either totally screwed (they release Ivy Bridge machines in the next 6 months), or I'm a freaking winner (they don't update the MP ever again).

bpd115

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2003
Pennsylvania
Lack of SATA 3 is going to limit your speeds on SSDs down the line. No thunderbolt may not be a big deal today but you will never be able to connect a Thunderbolt display or RAID array. The ancient ATI GPU is also lame. I'd rather have native USB 3 then relying on a PCI Card. The hardware you are paying a premium for today is essentially, aside from the CPUs, from 2009. Additionally we are in a time where performance can't be judged via clock speed any longer. So yes, while the perhaps 15% performance boost of 2011 CPUs would be welcomed, it's the rest of the architecture being so antiquated that has everyone annoyed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.