Just Got Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by bntz313, Feb 7, 2009.

1. bntz313 macrumors 6502

I just got my mac pro(refurbished) and wow is it nice. It's the quad 2.8ghz, I planned on getting a iMac but figured if I could get the MP for almost the same price way not, it well last much longer.

This is my second refurbished apple computer and they were both VERY nice!

What are some good hard drives?

-thanks

2. bearcatrp macrumors 68000

Congrats on the new system. I just received my 2.8 and boy is it fast. Upgraded from a 2Ghz mac pro. Bump up your ram. I bought 8gb ram from OWC and it flies converting movies allot faster than my quad mac pro w/8gb ram. Again congrats.

3. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Sounds like you should have gotten the iMac. ;)

Just kidding. Anything you like, but Seagate and Western Digital are my top choices. Just make sure you get the ones with at least a 3 year warranty (many have 5 years) and depending on your usage grab the ones that are rated for servers.

4. bntz313 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok, I'll check some. I'm gonna use it for the whole creative suite, so I might get ram first.

5. jeffreyk macrumors regular

jeffreyk

I did the same thing with my 2.8GHz Quad Core. The 8 extra GBs of RAM really makes the system a fast one. I'm looking forward to Snow Leopard to make it even faster in a few months (or so). Congrats on your purchase and enjoy your new Mac Pro as I certainly am enjoying mine. The only negative with my Mac so far -- I've had it for just 2 weeks -- is that I kick myself for not switching to Mac sooner.

6. indiochano macrumors regular

seagate?

hmm... maxtor = seagate, maxtor = ****.

id stick to western digital or hitachi

7. Genghis Khan macrumors 65816

Genghis Khan

didn't seagate buy western digital a year ago or so?

also, i have a friend who has sworn never to buy WD again, after all of his WD's in RAID 0's failed.........

EDIT: to the OP, IMHO Seagate/Western Digital are the safest choice despite what you hear

P. EDIT: congrats on the MP, i'm currently shopping that same one *fingers crossed*

8. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Seagates are good. Maxtors are reject Seagates.

Western Digital suck as much as Maxtor.

Seagate and Samsung = win

9. nanofrog macrumors G4

Seagate's had some serious QC issues lately, as the failure rate has exceeded what it should be. These issues are even beginning to affect their enterprise models (ES.2 Series). Due to these issues, they've been difficult with customer support. You have to jump through hoops. :rolleyes:

I've had better luck with WD (since SATA), and no where near as bad as Maxtor. Not even close. They don't seem to have the same degree of issues, including the firmware, and offer better customer support.

Don't even think about a Hitachi. No customer support at all! :eek: If you have a problem, they'll leave you hanging in the wind. :(

Keep in mind, this is from a reliability POV.

10. rylin macrumors 6502

I've gone through well over a thousand disks, and at one job I actually kept detailed track (Internet café, replacing a few disks every week).
    Higher failure rates on Maxtors than anything else, by FAR.

WD and Hitatchi were the ones with the lowest failure rate, with Seagate not far behind.

At home, I exclusively run WD and Seagate (pre Maxtor).
    For my upcoming (at home) SAN, I'll be going with WD Greens and possibly a Samsung or Seagate as hot spare, depending on disk geometry.

For anyone to compare WD and Maxtor requires a lot of crack.
    Who's your supplier? :cool:

11. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

In my MacBook I have a Hitachi Hard Drive and use a WD external on Time Machine. Both run great.

12. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

all of my drives are WD. although, if i upgrade the drive in my macbook i'll probably go for the new seagate. i have found 3.5" seagates to have a really annoying sound.

13. hexonxonx macrumors 601

At the time I bought my Mac Pro back in June, I also bought two WD 1TB Green drives. One is still working, the other green drive only works when I reboot the computer. Once the computer sleeps, the green drive is unreadable until I reboot again. Stay away from green drives. There have been others who have had problems with them as well.

14. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

I have purchased hundreds of hard drives over the last several years for systems, NAS, and RAID arrays. By far and away the most reliable drives have been Seagate drives. Western Digital comes in a distant second. Samsung and Hitachi aren't even on the radar...

I can't even hear the 3 Seagate 750GB drives in my Mac Pro unless they are doing a lot of reading or writing. And that sound is certainly not annoying.

S-

15. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

different strokes for different folks. "annoying" is a subjectve term.