Just got Macbook...printers arent supported

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by 2hondas, Jul 5, 2007.

1. 2hondas macrumors regular

Ah, I just got my MacBook yesterday... and today I find out both of my HP Printers (Laserjet 1018 and 1210 All in One) aren't compatible. The 1210 all in one has a downloadable driver, but its for OS X 10.4, not 10.4.1 :mad:

For the 1018, people have been doing something with Liniux or something, but its way to confusing for me (recent Windows convert, as of yesterday!)

Sorry, just had to rant. Now i will be printing off my windows desktop. :(

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Try the free demo of crossover, to see if you can get the windows drivers to work for you. I've used crossover to get my Logitech gaming controller to work.

3. 2hondas thread starter macrumors regular

hmm thanks, but if my printer DOES work, will it only work until the trial ends?

4. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Yeah, unfortunately crossover is not free so it'll only work until the trial ends. It'll be a temporary fix though. And you should try the printer drive for 10.4 that you mentioned in your first post.

5. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

Shouldn't a printer driver for 10.4 work for the whole range of 10.4.1->10?

6. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

That's what I was thinking too.

7. 2hondas thread starter macrumors regular

About the crossover... if its only gonna work for 30 days, then i wont bother with it. Thanks for the suggestion though. :)

Odd, i downloaded the driver for 10.4, installed it, but when i print, it doesnt work? The printer is shared and everything, my Macbook gives the option of printing to it.

BTW, both printers are on a Windows computer... i am trying to do Wireless printing. Firewalls are allowing shared printers... :( Do I need to restart both computers or something aftter install of the driver?

8. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

See if directly hooking the MacBook into the printer allows it to print, then you can narrow down the cause of the issue.

9. skybolt macrumors 6502a

I read somewhere, so can't verify it, that Canon does not support cross-platform printing. Maybe that's the problem?

10. kolax macrumors G3

Buy a wireless router that allows connection of a printer.

Saves hassle of getting a Mac to talk to a PC etc.

11. 2hondas thread starter macrumors regular

They are both HP printers ;)

Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't think thats worth it.

I will try hooking up the printer to the Macbook later. I'll let you guys/gals know if it works or not.:)

12. 2hondas thread starter macrumors regular

Okay, I plugged in my printer (all in one) into the Macbook, and it works fine.

Now, it won't print when the printer is connected to the PC. Any tips??

13. kolax macrumors G3

You mean the PC doesn't reconise the printer now or you still can't print from the Mac when the printer is plugged into the PC?

14. 2hondas thread starter macrumors regular

It goes back to the inital problem... when printer is plugged into PC, I can't print from my Mac, even though my Mac recognizes the printer (ie. the Printer name I gave the printer)....

... :(

Now my dad is saying how i should have got a Sony laptop, blah blah blah. :mad: I still love my Mac :apple:

15. kolax macrumors G3

Tell him it would've been easier to use Mac's in the first place :p

Especially with Bonjour being such a simple way to share things, like Printer's across a LAN or even a WAN.

16. 2hondas thread starter macrumors regular

Woah, can I use Bonjour between PC and Mac??

Argh, when I print from my Mac, the PC recognizes it, like it says theres a document wanting to be printed from the Mac, but nothing happens. :(

17. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Bonjour

Download Bonjour for windows and share the printers that way. It's worked for me.

18. MacBlackBook22 macrumors 6502

MacBlackBook22

same here that is how I got my HP (which is years old) and a new Canon to work over my networked computers (PC and Mac)

19. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Your question has been answered on this forum too many times to count. However, you did not include a piece of extremely important information about your setup. The bottomline is that you cannot use the USB drivers for a networked printer. You need a CUPS driver for the LaserJet 1018. You will also need a CUPS driver for the HP PSC 1210 All-in-One. I recommend that you first install Gutenprint. It includes documentation for CUPS.

20. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

Try this first: delete all the .plist files for printers and trash them then install the drivers from the cd for the printers..

That's what i've told several people @my fmr workplace to get the printers to work with mac if the plug n play doesn't work on the first try ..

21. remora macrumors newbie

Re: Just got Macbook

Have you actually TRIED it? If it's compatible with 10.4, it'll be right be 10.4.1 - the differences are infinitessimal. As far as the 1018 goes, you may have to consider sharing the printer from a parallels setup, but that's probably a little too much for one so new!

Good luck.

22. 2hondas thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, I found that on google. I mentioned it in my first post. It seems too complicated for me... so I have given up.

The all in one works with that driver when I plug it into the MacBook.

23. franmac macrumors newbie

Canon S200SPX printer output is blurred in my macbook

Hi! does anybody experience using a canon S200SPX printer and the output is blurred? I cant seem to make it print well. Appreciate any help please?

24. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Wow. Way to hijack. Try starting a new thread, as your issue is way different.

25. franmac macrumors newbie