Just got MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sparticu$, Dec 14, 2009.

1. Sparticu$ macrumors member

And my HD doesnt show up on my desktop. Just this folder that says Firefox but inside that folder is a shortcut to my Applications, so I am sooo confused if anyone could please help me.

2. omgitzjoie macrumors newbie

First mac? I don't think the HD is supposed to show up on the desktop... It's under the menu at the top of your screen under "Go" I think.

3. MacFanUK macrumors 6502a

MacFanUK

In Finder, Click 'Finder' menu at the top left and then click 'Preferences'. Then in the 'General' tab, it gives you tick boxes to select what you want to show on your desktop.

4. reebzor macrumors 6502a

reebzor

Drag the firefox icon to the applications folder, then unmount the firefox dmg.

If you want your harddrive on the desktop, open finder preferences and in general select Hard Disks under "Show these items on the Desktop"

5. MacFanUK macrumors 6502a

MacFanUK

It used to be displayed as default, but now it's hidden by default.

6. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

[​IMG]
    Click on the desktop (to activate the finder's menu) and from the menu task bar choose Finder and select Preferences from the list, you should be greeted with this menu.. make sure the Hard Disk box is checked, otherwise drives will be hidden from view leaving you a clean desktop.

[​IMG]
    If you like to keep the desktop clear of icons, you can drag all the directories from the folders you use to the dock.. then access them directly from there.

If there's no Install.app or Setup.pkg
    [​IMG]

Unlike a PC, many Mac applications get installed by simply picking up the application and dropping it in the Application folder in your Home Directory. It's dead logical, so much so.. most PC users don't think of it.. therefore become baffled, confused.

7. MacFanUK macrumors 6502a

MacFanUK

I think it's been covered :)

8. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

When I started writing the reply, no one else had responded...
    anyway, some people prefer visuals to pages of text instructions. ;) I'm sure this thread will help others. :p

9. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

Wouldn't that just show that PC users have a more complex way of thinking?:D

10. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Yep, they does... illogically.

Really economical time wise.. :rolleyes:

11. JonHimself macrumors 68000

JonHimself

Technically yes, but in most cases, the quickest/least complex route is the straight line haha

Read a quote today that I'm sure I've read before but just forgot about, "If you have a complex task that you can't figure out, just give it to a lazy person, they'll find the quickest way to do it". So complex isn't always the best :)

12. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Isn't that like...

...all those people want a Apple Mac, probably already know Apple makes the Mac's, yet they insists on (instead of buying direct from Apple) buy from third-parties... only to come here to complain they have a really bad service?