Just Got MBP 2.4! 4 Finger Swipe ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by EstrlM3, Apr 30, 2010.

1. EstrlM3 macrumors 6502

So my first mac, i have to say its absolutely flawless. screen looks amazing keyboard and trackpad excellent.

quick question four finger swipe left and right brings up two icons, one finder and second is mail however clicking on them just goes back and shows the desktop. what is this for exactly?

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

It's suppose to be for switching applications.

When I click one of the icons it switches that application.

Finder is the equivalent of Windows explorer (the one you use to browse folders and such), so if you select that it will show the desktop unless you have another Finder window open.

Let's say you have Firefox open and you want to switch your mail app, Mail. The 4-finger swipe left or right shows the applications switcher; then 2 finger swipe goes between each applications and then a 'Return' [on the keyboard] selects it.

3. WisdomWolf macrumors regular

It's sorta like alt+tab in windows. I prefer to use the four finger swipe up/down for expose.

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

4-finger swipe up to show desktop.

5. EstrlM3 thread starter macrumors 6502

yeah thats the weird part is it wont switch to that application, and the list keeps growing.

i opened itunes and closed it and also safari and closed it. and when i 4 finger swipe it shows up but selecting them does nothing.

6. Rogue. macrumors regular

Still new to this myself, but if you 4 finger swipe down first, then swipe left, you should then be able to switch apps... I am sure I will be corrected if I have this wrong :D

Oh, and you have to have the apps open, not just running.

7. EstrlM3 thread starter macrumors 6502

so thats what im talking about... apps running but not open.. what does that mean? coming from a windows background it seems like a waste to have an application running if its not open.

do i have to task manager to shut apps completely down if im on my computer for awhile and have opened and closed several apps?

they dont close themselves?

8. WisdomWolf macrumors regular

Thanks for correcting it. I wasn't sure which was which (only had my mac for two days and I'm at work right now). I also thought that showing the desktop was technically a feature of expose.

9. Rogue. macrumors regular

This is OS X. Apps/Programs are installed in an entirely different way. Basically the OS is running and nothing else until you start an app, then when you hit the cross it closes the app but it is still running in the dock until you 'Quit'.

Gets rid of all those horrible running processes you get in task manager in windows. Took me a while to figure out what was going on at first, but slowly getting my head around the way this works :D

10. sh0vel macrumors member

sh0vel

Do you have Spaces enabled? I don't think it works when spaces is enabled.

11. EstrlM3 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yep i kinda like it, i used to accidentally close webpages or windows a lot and it sucked, now if i accidentally close them tehy are still open lol...

12. joshellis625 macrumors 6502

joshellis625

For the record, if you are used to the Alt+Tab way of switching in Windows then you will be happy to know that Command(Apple Key)+Tab accomplishes the exact same thing.

If you already figured that out then disregard ;)

13. deckshighs macrumors newbie

If you open the System Preferences and click on the Trackpad icon there are some little videos showing how to use all the Multi-Touch features, just click on which ever feature you want to see in action. You can also customize your trackpad in here.

For people new to Macs you might want to watch this Multi-Touch video to see what can be done, the video link is about halfway down this webpage:

http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/features.html

14. m7ammed macrumors regular

is there a way to make a program quit when hitting the X, instead of it closing and running in the dock? I know you can do cmd+Q or go the porgram thing on top near the apple logo and choose quit. But I would like it to quit once I click the X

15. EstrlM3 thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks guys

16. ChocoboNL macrumors member

Actually, they behave very similar, but there is a difference; in Windows, alt + tab lets you switch between all open windows of all programs, whereas in Mac OS cmd + tab only lets you switch between active applications.
    So if these active applications each have several open windows (e.g. - Safari has several windows or in Mail your inbox is open and you are composing a new mail) you cannot switch between these windows within an application using cmd + tab, for this you could use cmd + `.

17. runebinder macrumors 6502a

runebinder

Also if you like the multitouch gestures, get hold of a free app called BetterTouchTool: http://blog.boastr.net/

It allows you to program in your own multitouch gestures, so now I have 3 finger swipe up for Spaces and 3 down for the Dashboard. You can either do global and app specific gestures, always bugged me you couldn't use them in FM2010, but now I have the trackpad programmed for different actions in the game, it's great.

Also gives you Windows 7 Snap type feature, one of the best free apps about, I love it.

18. m7ammed macrumors regular

can anybody answer my question?

19. torpy macrumors regular

20. ChocoboNL macrumors member

Although it can be programmed as such; take a look at iPhoto for example. But I don't think a user can configure it - don't know the extend to which this can be achieved in terminal though.

21. joshellis625 macrumors 6502

joshellis625

Ah yes you are right. I forgot about Cmd + ` as I don't use it much at all. Thanks.