Just got me a 12" PB...think im in love

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by daneoni, Jun 16, 2008.

1. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

I just got a 12" PB from ebay in very VERY good condition even my brother was like "wow...how did he keep it in such great condition". Its a 1.5G4/1.25GB/100GB 7200 RPM HDD/SuperDrive with original DVD and Power adapter for £400 incl P&P

Its running like a charm (i'm typing from it right now), not too hot and pretty zippy (i'd guess due to the RAM/HDD). Screen still decently bright...I love it and it'll make a good supplement to my iMac.

Just wanted to gush, cos i was expecting it to be crap but its pretty good for a 2yr old machine.

2. vandozza macrumors 6502a

vandozza

i had the first edition g4 867mhz 12".

best laptop ever :)

3. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

I love mine. We've nary spent a night apart since we met. Congrats on your purchase daneoni :).

4. chiefroastbeef macrumors 6502a

pssshhh wait till you experience a 2.4ghz MBP...:p

Congratulations man, enjoy!

5. portent macrumors 6502a

Yeah, nothing like a five-and-a-half pound, frying-pan like behemoth to make you really appreciate the sweet little 12" PowerBook.

6. Westsider 4 Mac macrumors regular

Westsider 4 Mac

I do both...

...so I cannot wait for :apple: to combine the form factor of the 12 inch PBG4 and MBP specs.:apple:

7. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

For me mine has worked perfectly for absolutely ages! I would like to say that it is almost perfect condition! but the battery is fried... As soon as I take the charger out im on reserve battery power!

If only I could find a cheap replacement it would be the tip top laptop i bought 3 years ago!

Congratulations on your purchase!

8. a456 macrumors 6502a

a456

Me too. It is currently my wife's home computer and still going despite the knocks and dents I gave it when travelling around. Even managed to load CS3 on it for emergencies.

9. wako macrumors 65816

I sure do miss my 12'' PowerBook...

my biggest regret was selling my PowerBook and getting a MacBook when it came out. Those PowerBooks was the PERFECT size..

10. Skeletal-dæmon macrumors 6502

Hey congratulations man, I still regret not getting one when I could. Ah well. MacBook Pro for me now. If I'm not here for a while its because my legs caught fire underneath the thing :D

Best idea Apple ever had, the 12" PowerBook.

Worst idea Apple ever had, killing the 12" PowerBook.

11. Westsider 4 Mac macrumors regular

Westsider 4 Mac

Ditto...

I agree completely. There is only one way to fix this debacle. Apple NEEDS to produce a 13 inch MBP to truly replace the 12 inch PBG4.:):apple:

12. Skeletal-dæmon macrumors 6502

Heh you have no idea how many times I have said that already... I was beginning to think everybody had given up on the idea! :cool:

13. jimN macrumors 6502a

jimN

Congratulations. My Powerbook died abruptly last Thursday and I have been told it's almost certainly beyond help. The upshot is that I upgrade to a Black Macbook which is beautiful but am still getting used to the keyboard, sharp edge to the trackpad and increased weight. Someone's looking at the Powerbook so the hope is something can be done but I can't say that I'm too regretful of having to make the switch to Intel - this thing is definitely cooler and goes like the clappers. Still would have liked to hang on until next year with the new chips and hopefully aluminium cases - there's always next time!

14. Queso macrumors G4

I still have my PB12" but it's been on its last legs for a while so never now gets used. Although my MBP works well enough I don't think it has any of the PB12"'s charm. If Apple made an MBP12" I'd eBay this 15" one and shift over in a shot.

15. Mark-Mac-Attack macrumors regular

I've got one for sale if anyones interested...;) good spec and software too,

PM me for details,

btw, really is a great little machine, when people say the size is perfect, they mean it!

congrats on the purchase.

16. Westsider 4 Mac macrumors regular

Westsider 4 Mac

This...

..is what I have been saying since joining Macrumors. Apple is missing out on real $$ by not having a true MBP spec machine in the 12/13 inch space. People that buy the MBA are getting it for Weight considerations. A 13 inch Aluminum MBP would be brought on Specs. There is just no way you could convince me that a true 13 inch MBP would not be a runaway winner for :apple::)

17. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

Yep, the 12" PowerBook is a great computer. Mine's pretty much maxed to the limit with 1.25 Gb of RAM and a whopping 250 Gb hard drive, and it runs 10.5 very well. The only problem is that it likes to freeze when I wake it from sleep, but I'll never get rid of it until Apple has a 12" MBP for me!

18. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

I saw the original video promo for the 12" PB recently and I got a bit sentimental; it really was/is a lovely machine that to my mind hasn't been replaced.

19. daneoni thread starter macrumors G4

daneoni

Yeah i don't know why Apple doesn't scrap the MBA and BlackBook and make a modern 12" PB/12"MBP instead which would earn them loads of money.

A 12" widescreen display is still a no compromise display IMHO and even if they just transplant the current keyboard and make it backlit i think it would be more than enough.

Just another one of those 'what the heck are they doing?' moves Apple makes

I've been testing it (the PB) and it seems very fine. However the airport reception issues that plagued the PBs is inherent in this one. I have to move closer a little to my router whereas my blackbook picked up the signals no questions asked but thats expected of the faraday's cage that is the aluminum enclosure

Also the G4 sometimes struggles with flash heavy sites but nothing major. Overall i'm liking it very much...it just feels right

20. shmutheprophet macrumors regular

5 and half pounds thats so heavy. My grandma, who is almost 80, can lift five pound weights with ease.

21. kitch95 macrumors regular

kitch95

any one after a PowerBook should look here www.wegenermedia.com they do 12 and 17 inch PowerBooks and 15 and 17 inch MacBook pros (all referbished) at pretty ok prices and even though its a American site they ship to the Uk.

22. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

have mine too. its the first one, the 876Mhz one. works beautifuly still, but i have no use for it really anymore. should probably sell it. great little machines.

23. chiefroastbeef macrumors 6502a

I also would sell my 15" MBP for a 13" MBP in a heartbeat.

24. bektravels macrumors regular

Heh, yeah I've just done the same to my 12in 1.33 PB G4!

I gotta say that before I bumped the HD from 60 to 250gb & ram from 768mb to 1.25gb that I thought the little guy was on his last legs (...I was that close to picking up a black MB).

Hopefully now it'll last long enough for Apple to come out with a logical replacement:)

25. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod