Just got mine. What resolution is everyone running.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by dmonnin, Apr 14, 2015.

1. dmonnin macrumors regular

I'm running scaled at 1440x900 and I think it looks great. Also is anyone hiding their dock for more space? I haven't yet but am thinking about it.

2. newellj macrumors 601

Same here (more space). I shrank the dock and ran it over onto the left side.

3. legioxi macrumors 6502a

Same resolution and I always hide my dock on the left side. Looks great and I haven't had any lag issues (yet).

4. sholzer macrumors regular

I played with one for a bit in Best Buy at the more space setting (1440x900) and it ran without issues. I use the 1920x1200 on my 15" rMPB so I'm used to the smaller text

5. pasadena macrumors 6502a

pasadena

1440x900. That's one of the first thing I did, along with disabling "natural" scroll and setting the trackpad speed to the fastest available. My dock is still the default one, I need to change the icons first, then I'll decide what to do with it. On my MBA it's hidden at the bottom, and on the iMac it's fixed, small size, on the left. Will probably hide this one.

Now...... to find a name :p

6. PDFierro macrumors 68040

Disable natural scrolling? Say what!

7. douglasf13 macrumors 65816

I also disable natural scrolling. I know it's been a few years since Apple introduced it, but it still feels backwards, to me.

8. newellj macrumors 601

Yup, disable natural (UNnatural ;) ) scrolling, turn on tap click! Although the new trackpad works so nicely that I'm finding myself using real clicks. The thing is Dark Art.

9. GrandPhrase macrumors 6502

Hey, mind posting a screenshot of your desktop - just curious to see how small or manageable the UI elements would be using 1440x900 on a 12" display. Thanks. ^^

10. grandall macrumors newbie

I reduced the resolution to the 1152x720 equivalent (quarter of the native resolution) so far. I think text just looks a little crisper, but it might be my imagination. I've also been using screen sharing to log into my Mac Mini server running at 1920x1200, which is clear and legible on the screen but very tiny.

11. pasadena macrumors 6502a

pasadena

Worst thing after Windows Trackpads :p

12. dmonnin thread starter macrumors regular

here ya go

Attached Files:

13. GrandPhrase macrumors 6502

Thanks! ^^

14. PDFierro macrumors 68040

Really? I love it. I never knew so many people hated it. To me it feels...natural.

15. msb3079 macrumors 6502a

msb3079

Perfect. Thanks.

16. pasadena macrumors 6502a

pasadena

Weirdly enough, to me it only feels natural on a touch screen. i.e. when I drag something, not when I scroll with a trackpad or a mouse.

17. vanimal macrumors 6502a

Same to me, i guess i got used to it, never turned it off. I just tried and my muscle memory was like "huh" while trying to scroll.

18. GiantCow macrumors member

Anyone try something like QuickRes to choose a nonstandard resolution?

19. pasadena macrumors 6502a

pasadena

So after a couple of hours spent reading stuff on the MB, I can confirm my resolution of choice is definitely the "more space" setting - 1440x900.

Also, I'm going to love that keyboard, although right now it's typo festival :D

20. dexterbell macrumors 6502a

Same here

21. tillsbury macrumors 65816

First job on all Macs. If they had that as standard they'd sell a hell of a lot more of them. Amazing how many people hate that first about macs (and don't notice that you can right-click with a single button mouse too). See them walk away from the Mac stand straight away...

22. gman36 macrumors regular

I would be interested in someone downloading switchresx, and running the display at the native resolution, then screenshot and tell us their findings.

23. MaskedCarrot macrumors regular

Ok I'm confused about something.

Why do so many people "scale", or in other words lower the resolution of the display? I see this in the other sub forums here also.

People complain about the MBA not having a retina display, yet people lower the resolution of a beautiful retina screen.

I love the standard res of the retina display on my rMBP and couldn't imagine lowering it.

24. willcapellaro macrumors 6502

Question for you: when you are tapping to click, do you want the taptic to disable?

(It was never possible to disable the hardware detent before, but now it is. Seems more elegant to me.)

25. xPad macrumors regular

On retina displays, you have to scale unless you want extremely tiny UI elements. On previous retina Macs, the screen has always been a 2x scaling of the standard setting, but on the retina MacBook (as well as the iPhone 6 Plus), the physical screen pixels aren't an integer multiple (2x) of the default resolution.

And it doesn't really need to be. It just needs to be sharp enough that you can't reasonably notice the difference in sharpness, like you do on non-retina displays.