Just got my 13inch MBP from MicroCenter

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lgfaver, Jun 21, 2011.

1. lgfaver macrumors member

So as some of you might know, I returned the refurb 2010 15inch model i got from the Apple online store.(around $1200 + tax) So... today i went down to my local Micro Center(had never been there b4) and got the new 13inch. they had on sale. I gotta say i already miss the larger screen, this almost feels like one of those old portable dvd players lol. Whatever... i knew what i was getting. At least i know this MBP comes with a HD camera and when it's time to put this on eBay, i'll get more than what i would have got for a computer that was 1 year older(i think).

Also another thing i noticed right away was the sound... obviously this thing doesn't have the speakers the 15inch model had but man oh man, i thought it would at least be close in terms of loudness. it's just not loud at all. whatever...

my brother kept on telling me how much more portable the 13inch was, and i suppose he was right.

2. pictures macrumors member

I was almost decided on the 13" but you've got me wondering if I should wait til I can afford the 15".

3. StvenH90 macrumors regular

Wait... As soon as I bought my 13", two days later I wanted to return it for the 15". I almost did, but I am going to keep it. I am buying a new iMac in a month or two anyways...

4. lgfaver thread starter macrumors member

well like i said, the 13inch is more portable, less heavy(and i mean considerably lighter), but yes, the screen size is big difference.

Take into consideration that the reason why i made what was basically a switch and what some might consider a downgrade, is because this 13 inch model was on sale ($999) AND the 15inch had a lot of issues(flash/Safari related), plus it was an older model (2010).

If the price was the same, (i think) i would go for the 15inch since the new ones are quad-core .

Unfortunately the 15inch MBPs start @ 1800 bucks. That's almost twice as much as what i paid for this new 13inch .

5. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

You couldn't pay me to trade my 13 for a 15, size and weight are too important to me. Yes, I would like to have more screen real-estate, but not enough to sacrifice portability; and on top of that the 13 has more ppi than the base 15 screen. Once they update the screen, hopefully to 1920x1200 LOLs, I will be upgrading; I did want a higher res screen when I got mine, but everything else the 13 offers outweighed what the 15/17 brought to the table.

6. s.hasan546 macrumors 6502

it really depends on your needs. i commute a lot so i love the 13" size and portability. Also i have a 2 23" led monitors at work i can connect the mbp too when im at a desk. So it's the best of both worlds.

Also i bought had a 2008 mbp 13" than bought a 2010 mbp 15", kept it for 1 week, and than returned it for the 13".

the screen size was nice but when im traveling 13" is better and when im not traveling at a desk i have external monitors.

7. pictures macrumors member

I like the idea that there is a high-res option for the 15" too. I do photo editing and web design and hi-res would probably be better than standard. Though, I would be doing most of that on my iMac. And the price difference...

8. lindstedt56 macrumors regular

Personally, I dont notice much of a difference between the 13 and 15 when they are in my backpack. For me the extra power and screen resolution is worth lugging around a heavier and larger computer. But that is all personal preference and im sure others transport there mbp more then I do.

Hopefully the 13 inch macbook pro gets a screen res upgrade next refresh. Since I got my 15 with the hi res screen its hard to go back to using the 13inch low res.

9. s.hasan546 macrumors 6502

maybe you don't travel enough? lol. i walk 3-5 miles with my work bag + i fly every other weekend. SO i refuse to get anything heavier/bigger than the 13". Also on the plane anything over 13" doesn't fit well.

also i don't/can't use a backpack. Not professional looking enough. I either use my messenger bag or briefcase.

10. brokenbuyer macrumors regular

I guess I don't like rocking anything bigger than 13" since I was thinking about Macbook Pro 13" or Thinkpad X220

13" is perfect for me. 15" to me is waay too heavy and bulky. Yes, the specs are way better for it's price, but it's not necessary for me. I would love it at times when I am at home and at a desk, but when I'm traveling. Nope.

I use some nice IEM's/Headphones to fix the speaker problems :p
    To me, the speakers are decent.

The 13" could use an anti-glare + higher resolution screen. I would like to run the 320GB as my HDD and another <100GB SSD as my boot drive. That would speed things up. I know that there are mods where people took out the Superdrive to fit an additional SSD. Tho that removes a feature and just voids my warranty.

11. Sean1218 macrumors member

What is it you use to connect two monitors to your mbp?

12. Daniel97 macrumors 6502a

I thought i should jump in here.

I have just sold my 2010 iMac 21. Was a lovely machine etc massive screen looks the nuts and everyone comments. BUT it wasn't portable. I dont mean portable like a MBA i just mean i couldn't pick it up and take it to my mums house or sit in the garden etc etc.

So anyway - i deliberated for quite a while, 11" MBA, 13" MBA, 13, MBP, 15" MBP.

In the end i opted for the 13" MBP and heres why:

I can upgrade the HD to an SSD and upgrade the RAM, thus making it faster than the MBA (ok not as slim but seriously this thing is hardly a brick!)

It really is a perfect size. I use Photoshop, iTunes, App Store, Google Chrome, Microsoft Office almost extensively and i have yet to find the screen to small. The 11" would of been this is a happy medium.

I dont have the bulk of the 15". Yes the 15" is portable but its still big and heavy.

The sound is PLENTY loud enough for a laptop. Personally the sound of a laptop should be loud enough for me to hear it not loud enough for the neighbors. If i wanted to blast music id buy something that blasts music. I expect my Mac to be able to operate PC functions - not blow out my windows.

I have the option to connect a screen or 2 to view a large display if i want to. By having the 13" i now have an ultra portable machine with the ability to have 2 27" screens side by side. The 15" doesn't have any advantage for this. They can both do it so i might as well have the smaller lighter machine to lug.

The resolution ... sigh ... what is the problem? This screen is higher than many i have seen before? Sure its not top of the mac league. But i bought a base model MBP i didnt pay £1000 more for the highest end. Did i expect to be able to spot wally? Not really. Does it look sharp, crisp with good colour? Yes. Stop moaning.

All in all £859 later (student discount) its an awesome machine and i couldn't be more thrilled that i have one!

Only thing is now im lazy and CBA to plug in my time machine every day so i need to get a proper Time Capsule :D

13. s.hasan546 macrumors 6502

14. soco macrumors 68030

soco

Do yourself a huge favor and wait for Lion, if possible.

Running things like Safari in full-screen mode, coupled with the gestures to get from app to app, makes the 13" perfect.

15. brokenbuyer macrumors regular

Don't think it would matter. Also, the OP has already exchanged and bought the 13" already.
    If you just purchased it Apple will give you the Lion update for free within a month or something. Probably some code through email.

16. aluren macrumors 65816

I also picked up a 13 MBP at Microcenter and as much as I wanted the screen real estate of the 15" hi-res, it wasn't worth $800-1,000 more. I have no use for the quad-core and extra GPU for my needs, so again, it wasn't worth it to me. You made a good choice. Perhaps that money you saved can go into a 27" monitor?

17. s.hasan546 macrumors 6502

and the GPUs in the 15" and 17" mbp are far from high end GPUs. No laptop gpu competes with desktops. If your do serious gaming or any serious gpu intensive activity you should/already have a PC gaming rig.

18. lgfaver thread starter macrumors member

not really, i am currently on HOliday in Peru. I am trying to see if i can sell it here since these machines retail for a lot more than they do in the States.
    in any case, if i do end up keeping in it. I am happy with my purchase and i know i have until August to make a decision on whether i want to upgrade to Lion or not since it's free.