Just got my 2.26GHz Mac Pro, how do you install the ATI 4870?!?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by jjahshik32, Aug 18, 2009.

1. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I decided to get the 2.26GHz instead of the 2.66GHz model, anyway I bought the ATI 4870 card along with it and how in the world do you install this in?? It seems to be way too long to go in. Anyone here can link me to a tutorial?

2. seisend macrumors 6502a

seisend

wow, didn't you buy the Mac Pro with the ATI 4870 in ? Do you got a nVidia GT120 around too, or what? Is it the original Apple ATI 4870 or a PC version?

3. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

Update: Ok nevermind I see the little button you press on the left side.

Originally I ordered the 2.66GHz mac pro from macmall last night but I decided to cancel it and pick up the 2.26GHz + the ATI 4870 as an add on.

I didnt think $1400 difference would have been justified. Im glad I got the 2.26GHz model instead.

4. goodcow macrumors 6502a

Wouldn't it have been cheaper to get the 2.26 refurb from Apple if you were buying the card separately?

5. tobyg macrumors 6502a

I'll admit, I don't follow everything you do jjahshik32, but seriously... didn't you just have a Mac Mini in your sig a month or two ago? Now it shows a 17" MBP, and today you've purchased another new Mac Pro. Do you ever sit still?

I hope you aren't disappointed with your 2.26 as I am with mine. I had a 2.8ghz Harpertown that Apple swapped out for a octad 2.26 and I am not happy. It feels slower in a lot of things, even though I have 16 little CPU bars in my menu now. Not only that but I had to go and buy a new optical drive and new RAM when they swapped it out. I should have told them just to send mine in for repair but stupidly took the new one. Oh well.

Enjoy your machine, which ever one you happen to have by the time you read this post. I'm not sure if this post will get to you in time before you've gone and changed machines again!

6. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

Lol. I did have the mac mini since February but I sold it and used the difference to buy the 17" mbp as my portable machine.

Now I want something more beefier than the mbp and the 2.26GHz so far seems to fit my needs. I was going to buy the 2.66GHz 8 core model but I dont think $1400 could be justified.

I still think the 2.26GHz model that I bought was overpriced... but what can ya do when you want a Mac Pro?

7. Transporteur macrumors 68030

Maybee Snow Leopard will change your mind.
    I hope so anyway, as I just ordered the 2.26. Statements like your's make me think about choosing the right machine.

8. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

Buy a previous gen one refurbished or new from a third party retailer - the Harpertown machines seem to have the price/performance crown. Of course, I will confess to being slightly relieved that the new machine that outclassed mine wasn't the earth-shattering revision we were expecting.

9. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

I take that back! This machine is freakishly fast! I've been installing 8 apps at a time and doing many other things and it doesnt budge not even a nano sec!

10. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

Congrats... glad you finally came to your senses and purchased one! :p

11. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

Yea! One thing I can say since I owned the previous gen 2.8GHz 8 core model is that the new Nehalem runs so much cooler.

Before the 2.8GHz 8 core model used to heat up my room and now the Nehalem is in the same room but hardly ever gets warm. Regarding the speed it feels about the same as the previous gen model except that it is a lot more responsive overall. Using only 6GB of stock ram with 8 spaces and my usual heavy multitasking it seems to have no hiccups and smooth sailing.

I guess its that reduced 40% latency?