Just got my $24 External 2000 mAh iPhone 4 battery pack!

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by mrat93, Oct 3, 2010.

1. mrat93 macrumors 65816

mrat93

Though I haven't really had much time to test it out so far, here are some first impressions of this $24 External iPhone 4 battery pack I got from eBay. Listing link.

Feel and build quality

Compared to other batteries I've ordered from overseas, this one feels the best. It is smooth to the touch and easy to grip. The top piece slides off so you can easily slide the phone in. However, aligning to top piece when putting it back on takes more effort than it should.

One thing I like about this case in contrast to other cases, is that this one uses the same 30-pin connector the iPhone uses. Convenient, right?

Sort of... Not all USB cables will fit. I've attached pictures of me trying to plug in two USB cables. One is the official cable from Apple (which fits), and the other is a generic cable, which appears to be identical to Apple's. The generic cable did not fit.

Signal

One issue with many generic batteries is covering the antenna, thus losing signal. This case does NOT have that issue. I used the Cydia app "Strength" to measure the signal, and there was no difference with the case on or off.

Camera

Let me just say... Using flash will RUIN your photos if you have this case on. I'll attach photos in another post. In normal light photos, there is a small curved shadow at the two bottom corners (in portrait orientation).

Sound

System sounds (locking, unlocking, etc) sound slightly muffled, but when it comes to music, it sounds the same (if not better). I tested the microphone with and without the case. There was maybe a slight volume decrease with the case on. Nothing substantial.

Performance

I haven't had the chance to test the battery in the wild yet, and I won't really have a practical use for it unless I go on vacation and won't be able to charge it for a while. However, tomorrow I'll put the battery to the test by leaving my iPhone in it from midnight and seeing how long it takes to discharge. I'll update my post tomorrow.

EDIT: Battery Test I

Normally, I keep my phone charging all night and unplug it at around 7:30 AM before I go to school. During school, I text regularly, take some photos occasionally, listen to music during lunch/gym, lots of web browsing, etc. At 3:00 PM, I normally have about 50% battery left. I should also note that I have various tweaks running constantly such as SBSettings, LockInfo, iRealSMS, etc.

For my first test, I charged the battery pack completely. One that was charged, I unplugged it from the wall, and put my iPhone into the battery pack. The phone already had a 90% charge. Before I went to sleep, I played some games, checked Twitter and Facebook, and used iBooks for about a half hour. I went through my day of school doing the same tasks I mentioned above. At the end of school, my iPhone battery was still at 100%, and the battery pack was still powered on. At around 5:00 PM, the iPhone stopped charging and was at 100%.

Tonight, I'll completely discharge my phone and see how much it will charge tomorrow morning and throughout the day.

Attached Files:

2. tadad1 macrumors 6502a

tadad1

Was curious of these, I saw the same one on Dealextreme yesterday for $21.60 shipped free.Did yours come with the cable and car charger?

I like that it uses a 30pin connector as I have a Mophie Juice Pack Air for the iPhone 4 and the micro usb is a bit of a pain especially mounted on the side as it is. It does appear to be considerably more bulky than the Mophie though.

Be interested to see what sort of charge you are get out of a 2000mAh rated battery. Unlike the Mophies 1500mAh battery that only seems to manage a 60-70% recharge 2000mAh should be able to provide a full recharge.

3. mrat93 thread starter macrumors 65816

mrat93

Nope, it just came alone in the box. No instructions or cables. That is the same battery on Dealextreme though.

As the iPhone's battery is 1420 mAh, this battery should give it a full charge, and then some.

4. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

You should get a new sync cable lol. I think Apple will replace that for free :)

5. mrat93 thread starter macrumors 65816

mrat93

Because of the tear by the dock connector? I called my local store and they said they would replace it if I brought in my iPhone, receipt, and cable. I didn't do it because I was afraid they might see my jailbroken iPhone and void my warranty. Not worth the hassle for a cable I can get for $.99 on eBay.

6. chanerz macrumors 6502a

not bad. post if the battery will charge the ip4 full

7. james92se macrumors 6502a

How is the sound? Does it muffle it at all or does it actually improve the sound by "aiming" it like the Mophie?

And any other pics of the case installed? Maybe some front pictures?

I think I may just go ahead and order one anyway. I had no clue a nice slim case-style knock off battery pack existed. And you can't beat that price!

8. nsbe1 macrumors member

if the top plastic is solid and not part of the battery i'd say a file or dremel would fix the flash problem by widening the cutout.
    if it is hollow, maybe you'd be able to fill it in with some epoxy or bondo or something.

but for $20 eff it, just slide it outta the case a bit when taking flash pictures.

9. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

just ordered from deal extreme. wonder how long it will take.
    For $21.61 I won't feel too bad if it only lasts until the ip5

10. james92se macrumors 6502a

I ordered two. One for me and one for my best friend. It's so cheap, I'm feeling generous :p

11. EricJD macrumors regular

12. mrat93 thread starter macrumors 65816

mrat93

System sounds (locking, unlocking, etc) sound slightly muffled, but when it comes to music, it sounds the same (if not better).

More pictures coming soon!

13. mrat93 thread starter macrumors 65816

mrat93

More pictures!

Here are some more pictures of the battery with the iPhone in it. There's also a side-by-side comparison photo. Sorry about the poor quality and lighting. Taken with my dad's 3GS!

Attached Files:

14. Resist macrumors 68030

Actually no Apple won't replace it for free, I tried. Seems like all these cables tear at the same spot.

15. Menzo macrumors member

Pretty good deal from DealExtreme. Just bought myself one, could come in handy later this year with a camping trip and all lol.

16. slipper macrumors 68000

slipper

Pix with better lighting please

Does the case have a slight lip to protect the front LCD? Or is it flush?

17. james92se macrumors 6502a

18. Vick84 macrumors regular

Vick84

I Ordered the white one, will post pics when i receive it.

19. R.Neville macrumors newbie

does it work with screen protectors (front + back)??

20. chanerz macrumors 6502a

21. mrat93 thread starter macrumors 65816

mrat93

It is flush with the screen.

Yes, I have a front and back protector on my phone and it fits perfectly.

22. james92se macrumors 6502a

Can you post some pics taken with the battery case on? Maybe the same basic pic with case on and case off so we can see how the case affects the pic?

Perusing eBay it looks like there's basically two Chinese battery cases, albeit from dozens of sellers. There's the one discussed in this thread and then this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1900mAh-Back-Up...ccessories&hash=item4aa52826a3#ht_4313wt_1139

I'm digging the top section of the case in the link above better than the one discussed in this thread (it's more "complete" rather than the broad cut-outs for the other case). BUT I like the fact that the one in this thread has the full size dock connector. Why can't we have both those features in one cheap Chinese knock-off case? :p

23. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

I agree. I couldn't do it. I stay with a charger anyways.

24. thinkdiesel macrumors member

this one, like my wife, doesnt have an off switch.

25. nsbe1 macrumors member

although that was srsly funny:D! the video on that ebay link shows that it does.