Just got my 3.06 GHz 27" iMac. What are the best FTP programs?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by d15, Nov 4, 2009.

1. d15 macrumors newbie

I just got my iMac a couple days go and finally set it up yesterday. I bought it for school and I'll need to connect to the school's database to submit homework and such.

Can any offer me their personal recommendations for the best FTP programs out there? I'm willing to pay a small fee (up to $30) to buy one, but only if it's well worth it.

Please note that I am completely new to Macs and I've rarely ever used FTP.
    Thank you guys.

2. idyll macrumors 6502

3. jgmacrum macrumors member

What's wrong with opening the terminal and typing 'ftp <hostname>'? That's how I've used FTP for about 20 years now :)

4. xtend macrumors regular

+1

free, fast, sexy - best bang/buck :D

5. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

Whats wrong with that is the fact that people have been doing it for 20 years. Who doesn't prefer a good GUI to command line stuff?

Personally I think cyberduck is a huge POS. I'm officially boycotting it. Its performance has given me issues, and last time i checked in SL it just plain didn't work (probably a resolved issue now, but it left a bad taste in my mouth for it)

I've used transmit, which is pretty good, but currently I'm using FileZilla. Free, pretty stable, effective.

6. adamjohn_98 macrumors member

I use a free Firefox plugin called FireFTP.

http://fireftp.mozdev.org/

It's worked out great for me, and I like how it operates in its own tab of my current Firefox window.

7. jgmacrum macrumors member

There are a lot of things that I think are far more powerful, easier & faster to do via CLI than GUI. For me, FTP is one of those things.

One of the reasons that I like OSX is the unix CLI available via the terminal - there have been all sorts of things on my current macs which would have been a real PITA if I didn't have that ability.

8. wfj5444 macrumors 6502

Nothing at all, but most folks don't buy a make to return to the command line.

If I am FTPing 1 file or all files in 1 directory, its fine. But If I want to FTP up or down multiple directories or the like, command line is a pain.

9. Richie Ni macrumors newbie

I do web related stuff and I'd strongly recommend Transmit and Coda (it has built-in editor).

10. gerabbi macrumors regular

Another vote for Cyberduck.
    It works well and it's free (donation ware).

11. fbroce macrumors newbie

re ftp

I like sftp (ftp over ssh) from the terminal command line. Just sftp hostname (assuming you have ssh access). Safer and works great. Same commands as ftp ie mget get, etc.

fbroce

12. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

But to many people, like me, what you just typed above is complete gibberish.

I would have to google each of those things to figure out what each one was.

I think Transmit is as good as any. Im still using Fetch, cheap to upgrade for me, since way back when there werent any other choices...

13. andykemp macrumors newbie

14. Uncle Pinny macrumors regular

Uncle Pinny