Just got my 42MM SS link....battery?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by MichaelWR90, May 13, 2015.

1. MichaelWR90 macrumors member

I charged it fully last night. This morning (about an hour ago) I put it on and drove to work. I just got to work after 1 hour and I'm already at 90% battery?

Does anyone have any ideas if this is normal, or if maybe I should be disabling some features?

What exactly does energy saver mode do?

2. andycooke macrumors newbie

I don't even have a watch, but just basic reading of some of these threads would tell you that a known area is that when driving it activates the 'lift to turn on' feature, and likely is draining your battery a bit more than normal (as the watch is constantly alert).

1 hr, 10% - that sounds about right then.

3. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

energy saver is if you are low on battery the watch can switch to "watch only mode"
    -no notifications

Give the battery a day. It could drop that first 10% really fast and then settle. No one can really give you an answer after 1 hour. If you are not using the watch much this morning, outside of incoming notifications, and your battery is lower than 50% at noon there is a problem.

4. MichaelWR90 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys. I'll keep you posted after my day is over. I did not bring my charger to work and I have a long day, we'll see how it lasts :)

5. Ecoh macrumors 6502a

Ecoh

Don't know if it is normal, but the first full day I wore mine it went to energy saver mode befor the end of the day. I reset it because of other issues , recharged overnight, and since then it has been lasting with about 50% charge until late in the evening.

6. LIOC macrumors member

LIOC

Check that you don't have a rogue/badly written app draining your power. I have bad battery life the 1st few days. I figured out it was the runtastic app glance.

Once you viewed the glance it would use location services and would not stop unless you restarted your phone. This data was being streamed to the watch killing the watch and the phone.

7. wingsabr macrumors 6502

wingsabr

My SS almost died on first day, now it rarely gets to 40% with 16 hours including heavy use like exercise, calls, and maps

8. mark34 macrumors 6502a

I don't do anything to try to conserve battery and usually have between 40 and 65% left at the end of the day.

9. spampy22 macrumors member

I had this issue and pinned it on an app that was running i didn't even know was installed. Any app that has a companion watch app can would be installed on your watch if you have that setting on. Check the watch app on the phone and start deleting apps you don't need and see if this helps.

10. LxTxNx macrumors 6502

LxTxNx

When I heavily use my watch I have 30-40% left at the end of the day.

First day my battery died at 3pm. That well was my fault I left my workout rubbing using the heart rate monitor on all day which drained my battery.

11. tgara macrumors 6502a

tgara

I've read some reports that battery life is significantly improved if the screen brightness is turned down.

12. spinboy macrumors member

spinboy

Did the watch reset affect your app layout, or did that stay intact from the iPhone app?

13. mark34 macrumors 6502a

This may be true, but given how good the battery life is (assuming charging at night isn't a problem for you), I think most users will tell you that you have no need to reduce functionality to save battery life. Crank up the screen, use the watch lots, and you should still have battery life to spare. That's been my experience anyway.

14. MichaelWR90 thread starter macrumors member

First day, from 7 AM to 11 PM (24% battery left), even used Maps GPS for walking directions to the post office downtown.

I did about 25 texts with dictate, 2 brain game challenges, and constantly messed with it throughout the day.

Today, from 7 AM to now (49%) so it lasted much longer today with just as much use as day 1.

So far I'm happy with the battery lift that I'm going to remove it as a widget from my home screen for now.