"Just got my 8GB, what do I do now" Thread

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by B.A., Feb 5, 2008.

1. B.A. macrumors regular

So I just broke down and got the 8GB version just over a week ago. I know I can return it and get the 16GB no questions asked, but is there anyway to not pay the restocking fee? I guess I'm just wondering if they will treat this like they do their computers and let me upgrade for just the price difference. Any insight? I'll be stopping by the Apple Store and/or the AT&T store on my way home tonight I guess.

2. rayward macrumors 65816

Unless you can create some fatal, warranty-related, issue between now and then, I think you're stuck following the sales contract you accepted.

3. Squonk macrumors 65816

Squonk

similar situation

I bought mine 10 days ago. With the tax rate for me, the cost to upgrade will be $175. I am pondering if this will be worth it. I guess it comes down to "will the 16GB phone last me x months longer in the long run"? Or will there be some other compelling upgrade in the next year or two that will have me wanting to upgrade anyway which makes me want to skip this one. Hmmmm.

4. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

i say wait for the 3G upgrade before upgrading. unless of course you have something like a 12 GB music/movie collection so it would fit on 16 but not on 8.

5. rayward macrumors 65816

I worry that the rash of native apps about to become available will put pressure on disk space. Having said that, I don't see myself upgrading until the 3G comes out and AT&T have their network running right.

6. B.A. thread starter macrumors regular

Yea thats my issue. 16 GB would just fit my entire video and music collection. But I guess now I'm wondering if I really need to carry that around all the time. I might like the idea of just waiting for 3G.

7. billmister macrumors 6502

I got my iphone like 3 days ago.. Look my advise to you is, just keep your iphone unless you really NEED that extra space... apple (any software/hardware) company will continue to come out with different "newer" products. I don't remember where but a member posted something about apple most likely having iphone 2, 3, 4, 5 generation already but just slowly releasing.

No matter what you have there will always be something newer coming out. Now unless you purcahsed your iphone having to compromise your data because you only have 8 gigs and have like 7 gigs filled up, then maybe it might be a good idea.

For me, i have 3 gigs of music and like 2 gig total of pics/other in my iphone. Actaully more like 2.75 gigs of music and 1.something of pics.. anyway i have 3.22 gigs free. Now do i NEED to have pics on my iphone? NO, i never really show them so no need to have my 4 albums on there. Everything else, (music, contacts, calender,etc..) i do.

On my 30 gig ipod i have the same, 4 gigs filled up and all that additional free. I didn't use.

Anyway be happy with what you have... In 2-3 years when your contract is done, and you really want to buy a new phone, look at what they have (2010-2011).

When i get home i'm goign to be selling my ipod/iskin/car charger on ebay. Can't wait. :D

PS- What is 3G?

8. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

At least you all didn't pay $599 for the 8Gig one.. :eek:

(runs and hides....)

9. Skystar macrumors 6502

I was JUST about to trade my 8gb iPhone for a 16gb Touch + $100 cash over the weekend! I really wanted my whole library (meager 11.6gb music library) with me everywhere, and good thing I waited. Does anyone know if the retail apple stores will have these new versions Today? Thanks

10. Squonk macrumors 65816

Squonk

The official press release says available today in stores and on the web. A call to your local store is probably in order..... :)

11. pro0 macrumors newbie

3G is the internet speed. so basically wen the 3G iphone comes out, you will be able to surf the web at DSL speeds, kind of like having wifi everywhere u go

12. robrose20 macrumors 6502

robrose20

I thought Apple had a policy if they upgrade a product within 30 days of your purchase you can return it for the newer version. True? Untrue? I would think if you bought the thing yesterday they would allow you to return it.

13. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

1. plug it in and activate it.
    2. sync your data and media.
    3. call someone
    4. take a nap, all that excitement probably wore you out. :D

14. rayward macrumors 65816

It also separates voice and data streams, so you can talk and surf at the same time.

15. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I'm with you on this except I couldn't give two ***** about 3G.

16. rayward macrumors 65816

I love the concept of 3G, it's just that right now it's not workable. Even the 3G phones out now don't get near-broadband speeds all the time, and operate mostly at speeds just a notch up from EDGE. The battery life on those phones is a joke, too.

Once the 3G networks become properly operational, I would love to have the speed I get now on WiFi on my iPhone all the time. BUT...I think the 3G iPhone will arrive long before AT&T has is 3G network together in such a way as to make the upgrade worthwhile. Plus, if 3G means losing WiFi capability (because of size/power/heat constraints of the 3G chip) then I'm even less inclined to adopt it early.

17. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

That's the thing that people don't get at all. They know the tech is out there, that other phones have it so they want it and complain. But the reality is it would suck, and battery life would be crap. So Apple doesn't do it till it is really feasible, otherwise everyone would whine about performance and their product would fail.

18. allanscu macrumors newbie

I just got my 8GB iPhone on Friday, 2/1 and activated it that night. You couldn't believe how ticked off I was on Tuesday when they announced the 16GB came out. Over the next 36 hours or so I debated whether or not I needed the extra memory. It turned out that it made me feel pretty shi**y, so I made a trip to the local Apple Store.

I then went into San Jose's Valley Fair mall on Wednesday night (2/6) and asked if I could do an exchange for the 16GB. I didn't have a receipt as it was a gift, but the concierge guy was really nice and approved the exchange. I paid the $100 + tax difference and I was on my way. There was no restocking fee for me.

19. jbuckner macrumors member

jbuckner

I bought my 8GB on 2/01 after waiting for Macworld to see if there was a 16GB iPhone coming out. Macword comes and goes no 16GB iPhone. So I finally bit the bullet and fall in love with my 8GB and then I wake up Tues am and see that Apple introduced the 16GB. Arrrrr!

I haven't exchanged my 8GB for the 16GB yet but I will before the end of the week. I have a feeling that were going to need the extra space for the Apps after the SDK id released and kicking.

Sorry but I just had to vent! I'm glad that I'm still in the 14 day window of exchange, otherwise I'd be upset. After some getting used to I love the iPhone. It's a huge improvement over the Blackberry 8700 that I just put in my dresser drawer.

20. iPhelim macrumors regular

I'd go with that.

21. B.A. thread starter macrumors regular

I exchanged it. I have an acquaintance at an AT&T store, so I just paid the difference.

22. klymr macrumors 65816

I got mine on 21 January, and my last day to return was on the 4th, one day before the release of the 16GB iPhone. Was I mad, you bet. Then I realized, wait, I don't need 16GB of space. I don't want to pay the extra $100. So, I'm perfectly content with my 8GB iPhone running on T-Mobile. I own a 80GB iPod for a reason. :D

23. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Nice. That's what I would have doen too. I would have never stopped thinking about it which is why I went down and bought a 16Gb Tuesday morning. I'm keeping both of my 8GB iPhones, one is a GoPhone, the other is now a great iPod Touch.