Just got my computer! Noticed 2 things

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by broadcast, Apr 23, 2010.

1. broadcast macrumors member

http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/

It says that it is normal for it to get warm on the bottom... but mine gets beyond warm... it get's really hot. Does anyone else notice this?

Also, when I have it on my computer, the vibration is noticeably louder. It gets really irritating because it sounds like it's echoing through your ear.

2. zentenk macrumors member

are you charging it and using it on say your bed (materials that trap heat) at the same time? when I do that it gets REALLY hot as the aluminium body cannot dissipate heat, otherwise it runs really cool.

3. BaronStein macrumors regular

Mine gets hot too, but actually this is normal. We just feel it more this time. I think that Apple just keeping it hot, this is an intentional warmness. But as long as there are no artifacts or crashes it's ok.

4. broadcast thread starter macrumors member

I'm running off the battery on my lap. It got really uncomfortable so I put it on the table, and noticed the harddrive makes a really annoying hum/echo when it's vibrating... not sure if that's normal though. I had overheating issues on my previous laptop (HP lol) but never had problems with the harddrive vibrating like this

5. BigWil254 macrumors newbie

Dude I thought I was trippin out too. My effin MBP gets really hot sometimes. Up to 75 degrees on the CPU says ISTAT. Its typcally when im skyping or so.

I'm wondering it it might have to do when the Dedicated Graphics kick in. I wanna know if anyone else is havin his issue too.

My typical use: Video conference with gf on Skype, Web browsing, Iwork (School stuff), Frostware (occassionally).

6. BigWil254 macrumors newbie

If you mean literal vibration in the HDD, get that Receipt and exchange ready.

7. broadcast thread starter macrumors member

Yeah it might be, I'm watching stuff on youtube (which is a huge battery drain lol) with adium running.

8. BigWil254 macrumors newbie

Oh. I forgot to mention. On the mac FAQ, it talks about heat. As long as its not going above 90 degrees C youre good. :/ Idk about you but that's effin hot.

9. dsprimal macrumors 6502a

dsprimal

"hot" temperature on the bottom, normal. loud vibration, not.

10. tikidoc macrumors regular

tikidoc

Yup, this. My MBP gets warm on the bottom, although it seems much less so than my previous Windows computer, and not so warm that I would need to put it on the table. And it is by FAR the most quiet computer I have owned.

11. SonicBoom1981 macrumors regular

Mine gets hot sometimes, but no vibrations at all really. Runs smoothly pretty much all the time.

How do you check temperature?

12. vong macrumors 6502a

vong

http://www.islayer.com/apps/istatpro/

top, 4th box says TEMP -> CPU

[​IMG]

sorry, dont know how to edit photos hah. i need paint but i dont think mac's have paint O_O" (like windows)

13. Koronis macrumors member

Koronis

When you take the screenshot, use CMD-Shift-4
    the cursor will turn into a crosshair and you can draw a box around whatever you want in the shot.

14. BlackZ macrumors member

BlackZ

*off topic*
    Following One Piece eh ;)

15. kenman884 macrumors member

iStat kills the performance of your computer. If you're worried about temp, get a program like smcFanControl; you can monitor the temperature and increase the fan speeds if you want to. You can never decrease them, however, so you don't have to worry about accidentally killing the computer.

Is it just me or is Apple really toeing the line with such high-power processors in ultra-thin devices? Or did Intel make the new core processors generate more heat? My mid 2009 MBP has the highest processor available at the time, and under load, it can get quite hot (seen it get up to 200 degrees fahrenheit with sudden conversions). But idle, it is extremely cool; 110-120 degrees.

16. Patrick J macrumors 65816

Patrick J

I am so fricking fed up with all the temp threads.

17. vong macrumors 6502a

vong

hah indeed indeed. just started, on the Cocodile / barqoue work arc. the one with vivi.

and thanks ill remember that cmd + shift + 4 trick :p

18. brand macrumors 601

brand

You do know that you bought a MacBook Pro and not a laptop right?

19. brand macrumors 601

brand

Don't really see how "iStat kill the performance of your computer." Especially since iStat Menus will let you change the speed of the fans.

20. SunnyP macrumors newbie

Agreed. If you are worried about temperature, get smcFanControl. Otherwise, it stays pretty cool most of the time.

21. vant macrumors 65816

He's commenting about iStat's use of resources.