Just Got My eMac Through The Post!

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Goftrey, Nov 1, 2011.

1. Goftrey macrumors 68000

Goftrey

It just came a few hours ago, I have a couple of questions though.

1. Can I get the translucent menu bar in a PowerPC, I know a lot of people didn't like it but I prefer it.

2. How many RAM slots are there? I'm definitely going to upgrade from the 512mb to 1gb. I really can't be bothered to take a screwdriver to him at the time of the night to be honest :rolleyes: I just want to know whether to get another 512mb stick or whatever

Cheers guys, the eMac is performing pretty well atm, no slow downs or anything! :p

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Yes, but only on Leopard. There are two ram slots. You can have either 1Gb or 2Gb depending on which eMac model you have. Can you please post the speed and or the eMac's model? The model can be found in the System Profiler application.

3. Goftrey, Nov 1, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2011

Goftrey thread starter macrumors 68000

Goftrey

Yeah, sorry, I've posted the specs elsewhere aswell in various threads..

1ghz PowerPC G4 Processor
    512mb RAM (Will Upgrade To 1gb)
    40gb HDD (Would upgrade that too, but it looks like alot of hassle, suggestions/experience on how easy it is to replace the HDD?)
    Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.8
    ATI Radeon 7500 With 32mb Dedicated VRAM
    3 USB 1.1 (It's the earlier 1ghz model)
    2 FireWire 400
    Audio In/Out, ethernet, mini VGA (As you'd Expect)

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

A fine Mac. 1Gb is the limit on those older eMacs. For upgrading the hard drive, I'd suggest caution. Those CRT's can hold a deadly charge for weeks after they've been unplugged. But as long as you stay away from the tube part, you should be fine. It takes any PATA/IDE/EIDE/ATA drive, not SATA. PS: It has a mini-VGA, not mini-DVI.

5. adcx64 macrumors 65816

adcx64

I have the eMac one generation above yours. It's a 1.25GHz G4 (Underclocked to 1GHz as an education model) with USB 2.0.

The hard drive is not hard at all to upgrade, it just requires a lot of screw removal. Your model can support up to 1GB of RAM.

These are great and well built machines. Hope you enjoy yours! :)

6. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

7. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

were in leopard? i see in snow leopard....

8. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

In the Desktop preferences. Check the "Translucent menu bar" box. Its only on 10.5.2 and above.

9. Dnix macrumors 6502

10. SuperJudge macrumors 6502

SuperJudge

And I'm pretty sure you need a Core Image supported video card to enable it without the aid of something like Onyx. Could be remembering incorrectly, though.

11. adcx64 macrumors 65816

adcx64

That's correct. I've never gotten that to work on my eMac without onyx.

12. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

There is a reason things like that are disabled by default when there is no Core Image hardware support. Apple did things like this to help you get the most out of lesser hardware.

I understand that many love eye candy but is it worth it when it hinders performance even in the slightest way? I disable those type of things and I have full CI support.

13. Goftrey thread starter macrumors 68000

Goftrey

Yeah, you need your graphics card to support Quartz Extreme to enable the menu bar transparency, I knew that, I was wondering if there's an app that I can download to enable or a terminal hack or something? And thanks for the replies, I'm chuffed with it at the moment, it's wizzing along :D

But here's some pics as requested! ;)

PS. I'm DEFINITELY getting a new desk... I'm thinking of this one?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Graphite-CO...=officeproduct&ie=UTF8&qid=1320105119&sr=1-14

I just need more space, my eMac, my laptop, dock, lava lamp, crap like that and a decent area to do my coursework.

Attached Files:

14. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

We can give you lots of help on how to use your new Mac better and get more out of it. When it comes to a desk though that is a total 100% personal choice. Only you know what desk could be right for you.

I will say though.. the L shape would be nice as you could dedicate the smaller part or the whole corner to the laptop and leave the rest for the eMac. Just some food for thought while you decide what is best for you.

15. Goftrey thread starter macrumors 68000

Goftrey

Thanks, really means a lot :D

I love the L shaped desks as you feel like you're surrounded in everything you need. I may also want to get the tilt & swivel stand for my eMac to raise it up off the desk a bit more, but, I need an Airport card first! :p

16. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

The tower shelf would be a great spot for a printer if you have one. Keeps it off the floor and it's easy to reach under and grab a printed page.