Just got my first apple computer!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hypmatize, Oct 17, 2008.

1. hypmatize macrumors regular

Sorry but I had to post this I'm so exited. Just bought a new (late 2008) 2.4ghz macbook pro!!! This thing is awesome!!! Like I said this is my first apple computer and I'm loving it so far! Best part was the apple store gave me the old student discount of $200 :D. Its gonna take a little getting used to osx but it doesn't to difficult I think I got how to do all the basic stuff. If anyone has any cool tweaks or apps please share. Oh the OSX intro boot was great, I love apple's presentation in both the packaging and OSX. Well here are the pics I was smiling the whole time i was unpacking and setting it up. :D

BTW I took a boat load of pics i'll upload only a few i'm not the best photographer....

Attached Files:

2. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Congratulations, looks awesome. Welcome aboard :)

3. vanmacguy macrumors 6502a

Congratulations and welcome aboard.

For tips and Tricks, I'd start by searching MacRumors for similar threads. I know I personally have added stuff to a good few threads on the same topic.

There are a lot of free applications that will make your life easier, and I'd say you should spend some time with the shortcut keys. There are dozens of them and they will save you lots of time.

Have fun, and keep asking questions.

Cheers.

4. hypmatize thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the replies... I got a question though. what's the difference between spaces and expose?

5. strikeinsilence macrumors 6502

Expose lets you see all the apps you have open at once, where spaces give you separate virtual desktops where different applications can be open at once.

For more: http://www.macworld.com/article/132474/2008/03/leopardsurvival3.html

6. bitesize macrumors member

You use expose to hide/reveal windows. Spaces allows you to have totally different desktops, so you can have one with a web browser open, and another watching a dvd etc.

7. smokestack macrumors member

Expose will simply display all the open windows you have.

Think of spaces as 4 (or however many) different workspaces. you can be working on different windows in each area. then you can expose all the windows from that space.

8. jaykkub macrumors newbie

That's a tiny bottle of water you have there :)

congrats!

9. wesrk macrumors 6502a

remove the water bottle from the vicinity of the mbp, we have too many accidents reported here
    other than that, congratulations, you'll get used to Leopard in no time, it's easier and better.

10. hypmatize thread starter macrumors regular

haha yeah is was my bros he put it there right when i took the pic.... i don't any liquids near it.... don't want it to fry.

Ah so thats the differences between the two... so spaces is like the cube in linux right? I have to set them up to work right they don't see to be working out the box....

btw i was looking at the app section for the essential mac apps but the link didn't work... there was a widget that my friend had on his macbook pro it was a red bull can that controlled the volume there is not much use for it but it looks cool does anyone know where I could get it (my friend isn't online so I can't ask him)

11. kajitox macrumors 6502a

kajitox

From my understanding, Spaces is similar. Basically it just makes it as if you have four separate "screens," and is great for organizing workflow and hiding the fact that you're not paying attention in lecture, not working, etc.

Also, you can set up certain applications to always follow to each Space and have certain applications open in specific Spaces only. That way, you can always have your iCal, for example, open in one of the Spaces if you use it often and need to refer to it.

Good luck, the machine won't do you wrong.

12. Mx356 macrumors member

Mx356

Hey man if you find the Red Bull gadget let me know. I can't find it anywhere.

13. marvel2 macrumors 6502

14. 7even macrumors 6502a

Ack, I bet the guy that I was working with would've given me $200, but then I complained that the discount was only $100.. he didn't know so he checked. Grr @ honesty :mad:

15. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

Congrats mate,

Just a tip. ADIUM is the best instant messaging app for mac. ask anyone
    www.adiumx.com

16. hypmatize thread starter macrumors regular

ah that sucks. i don't think the guy that helped me knew that the student discount price went from $200 to $100 but i did manage to get the apple remote 10% off because I told him I was probably one of the easiest sales he had ever had since right when he came to help me I told him I wanted a macbook pro with a printer and applecare. he did have to do any convincing.

@kajitox.. ah good idea about the hiding thing with spaces one screen with notes and the rest with safari, ichat and msn, with itunes on the third and i still got one free for what comes up:D didn't know i could designate a certain app with spaces i only figured out how to bring it up...

@Mx356 yeah sure once my friend gets online ill ask him where he got it from and then i post it he (the link that is)

@marvel2 thanks, no problem I was happy to a take them:D

@yoyo5280 thanks... ill look into adium but i got to say im liking ichat and msn for mac but its worth a look.

17. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

Congratulations. ;)

Subscribe to Apple's Quick Tips Podcast through iTunes.

18. gusious macrumors 65816

gusious

19. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Congratulations and welcome to the world of Apple; you'll love it, and may both you and your MBP live long and prosper together.
    Cheers

20. jTreu macrumors 6502

21. thespyglass macrumors regular

thespyglass

Wheee, exciting, congratulations! I hope to be you very soon ;)

22. yoppie macrumors 6502a

Congrats on your new MBP purchase. Awesome pics too, thanks for sharing.

23. Mx356 macrumors member

Mx356

Hey man I found it, here it is: http://www.apple.com/downloads/dashboard/food/redbullvolumewidget.html

24. hypmatize thread starter macrumors regular

awesome thanks man!!

thanks for all the replies makes me feel welcome in the mac community :D

now i just have to fix my iphone. i updated it two 2.1 instead of making a custom .ipsw and puting it in restore mode. now i can't jailbreak/activate it. every time i use pwnage its i succefully enterd restore mode but itunes gives me an error 2001 :mad: but that for another forum.... unless anyone know a fix for it and would like to share:D