Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DFox

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 20, 2008
San Francisco
Girl, Bus stop, other:
2949814445_38d87f3a0e_b.jpg

Little girl:
2959871234_bc315c57de_b.jpg

Fire Truck:
2803287405_3120090be7_b.jpg

Reflection-1:
2883579562_859c9ae619_b.jpg

Reflection-2:
2809276019_2af88cd118_b.jpg

One leg:
2858303268_b693f1591e_b.jpg

SeVeN

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2006
San Jose
Pic 1,2,4 and 5 look like they were taking in San Jose, not sure about the rest (fire truck in Sac im guessing)

DFox

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 20, 2008
San Francisco
Pic 1,2,4 and 5 look like they were taking in San Jose, not sure about the rest (fire truck in Sac im guessing)

Great guess! Actually the first one was taken in Mountain View

Definitely practice more because these look like regular P&S pictures.

Thank for the advise! However I have no idea how to: see the object the way I like most, take the camera off the bag, set F number (or switch lenses), make a shot, adjust ISO/shutter speed, make one more shot; - all in just a few seconds, since the whole scene I want to capture exists only for a moment?
This is a bit different if I take, say, 17mm fix lens, tripod, go to park and will be photoing benches in B&W (with some tilt!) for an hour or so.

sangosimo

Sep 11, 2008
rule of thirds and depth of field; combine those things with photoshop and people will think you are ansel adams

DFox

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 20, 2008
San Francisco
damn, i was gonna say either sunnyvale or santa clara (close enough) on the first pic. El Camino?

El Camino and San Antonio

rule of thirds and depth of field; combine those things with photoshop and people will think you are ansel adams

Heh, so simple, however it requires years of practice.. I agree

just let me add, that girl is hot :D
Right! Now the thread turnes the direction which ChicoWeb was scared of :D

Daremo

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2007
Chicago
"Girl, Bus stop, other:"

Hot girl at the bus stop, and the dumpy kid is checking out his own penis. :confused:

ManWithhat

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2008
All the less sharp images are due to improper expsure and wrong shutter times. Keep practicing! A lot of those are easy to fix in post-processing.

Like someone else said, work on composition. It's much more difficult to fix in post-processing.

andrewdale

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2008
Memphis, TN

Learn photoshop. That's all I've got to say.

Pictures can't be too cluttered. The audience looks at where you point them to look in the picture. You may have to crop something out later.

Learn color correction. Lighting correction. All those fun things.

Then, one day, learn to shoot in RAW. It's a lot of fun! :)

jv-iphone

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2007
Nice Shots, to make a good photograph, you have to learn basic photography principles like the rule of thirds, depth of field, those are great shots, but when you start to learn how to take pictures your pictures will be even better, add photoshop and you can create some amazing things.

These are with my Nikon D-50, HDR mode, and some photoshop dodging and burning, and adjustment layers.. (will be getting the D-90 for christmas :D)

courts_hdr.jpg

DSC_0109.jpg

DSC_0369.jpg

DFox

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 20, 2008
San Francisco
All the less sharp images are due to improper expsure and wrong shutter times. Keep practicing! A lot of those are easy to fix in post-processing.

Like someone else said, work on composition. It's much more difficult to fix in post-processing.

Most of my shots are taken "from hands" w/out tripod (or monopod). Len's IS does it's best, but still..
Thanks for the tip!

DFox

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 20, 2008
San Francisco
Nice Shots, to make a good photograph, you have to learn basic photography principles like the rule of thirds, depth of field, those are great shots, but when you start to learn how to take pictures your pictures will be even better, add photoshop and you can create some amazing things.

These are with my Nikon D-50, HDR mode, and some photoshop dodging and burning, and adjustment layers.. (will be getting the D-90 for christmas :D)

Wow! That's fantastrc! Really fantastic!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.