Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maco55

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 28, 2009
I've immediately upgraded to iOS 10.1. I was wondering how can I keep getting notifications but without it waking my screen.

LordQ

Suspended
Sep 22, 2012
I've immediately upgraded to iOS 10.1. I was wondering how can I keep getting notifications but without it waking my screen.
You can turn on Do Not Disturb (Swipe up from the bottom of the screen to summon Control Centre) or if you got a 6 or later, you can put it face down the table.

maco55

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 28, 2009
I've got the 6s plus. THanks for the tip.

It's a bit different from android, missing the "proper" notifications and widgets. :p

gforce216

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2009
You could set all of your notifications in Settings-Notifications to not show up on Lock Screen. That way you'll get them still, but they just won't appear on the Lock Screen and therefore won't wake your screen. Otherwise, putting it face down works.

JetBlack7

macrumors 68030
May 14, 2011
Portugal
Enjoy your phone, I remember my first iPhone, the 3GS. Was so effin' excited, I couldn't sleep without looking at it for hours.

apb89

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2012
Although I am an iPhone user, I will say that the notifications on Android are better handled, in my opinion. I always enjoyed how the screen does not light up on Android and the LED notification light is always nice (on most Android devices).

I also find the haptic keyboard Android offers to be really awesome; I really wish iOS would make use of haptics while typing. It is almost a no brainer since the 7 has the newly improved taptic-engine..

That being said, welcome to iOS.

mpavilion

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2014
SFV, CA, USA
You could set all of your notifications in Settings-Notifications to not show up on Lock Screen. That way you'll get them still, but they just won't appear on the Lock Screen and therefore won't wake your screen.

This is the best answer. Turning on DND means you won't receive any form of notifications -- no sound/vibrate for new messages; your phone won't ring (except when a "Favorite" contact calls); etc.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
This is the best answer. Turning on DND means you won't receive any form of notifications -- no sound/vibrate for new messages; your phone won't ring (except when a "Favorite" contact calls); etc.
You will still get the notifications, just that there won't be any alerts for them essentially--you'd need to turn the screen on to see them. You can actually also set it up to ring for all calls, or some sub-section (as well as repeated calls), but no controls of anything aside from calls. You an also set it to only work when the phone is locked, and not when it's unlocked. But, yeah, it is more of global control than simply disabling lock screen notifications for various apps that you might not care about.

mpavilion

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2014
SFV, CA, USA
You will still get the notifications, just that there won't be any alerts for them essentially--you'd need to turn the screen on to see them. You can actually also set it up to ring for all calls, or some sub-section (as well as repeated calls), but no controls of anything aside from calls. You an also set it to only work when the phone is locked, and not when it's unlocked. But, yeah, it is more of global control than simply disabling lock screen notifications for various apps that you might not care about.

Thanks, you phrased it better than me -- your phone won't alert you of anything, even when you might want it to. Using DND is overkill if the goal is simply to disable lockscreen notifications. (Although if the goal is to still receive lockscreen notifications, but without the screen lighting up, then I guess DND is the only way.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.