Just got my first iPhone.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by FurryFoxMacuser, Oct 23, 2011.

1. FurryFoxMacuser macrumors member

FurryFoxMacuser

Well, I just got my first iPhone and I am loving it. I just have two questions about the iPhone. First I purchased mine from an apple store and was wondering do I have some kind of replacement plan for the phone so if it gets damaged it will be replaced? I know verizon has a 1 year replacement deal on all phone but you have to purchase them from verizon. Second, how do I sync through my iPhone through iCloud, because I tried searching through bluetooth and it couldn't find my mac. Thanks.

-Dan

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

No, it doesn't come with a replacement plan - unless you purchased Applecare+ while at the store.

iCloud is not through bluetooth, you need to login to iCloud in Settings on the phone, using your Apple ID and then login in System Preferences on your Mac. IIRC, you need to be running 10.7.2.

3. socorosis macrumors newbie

You need wifi to sync iphone through icloud. You can purchase applecare+ if you want extra protection for your phone however it comes with a 1 year warrany.

4. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

You should have been offered the option for AppleCare+ when you bought your phone (assuming a 4S?)

If you chose not to get AppleCare+ (or you got a 3GS/4), then non-warranty exchanges are available at $199 for the 4S and $149 for the 3GS/4.

iPhones sync with your computer via WiFi, not bluetooth. Or, you can use the USB sync cable. Bluetooth is way too slow for that type of synchronization.

5. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Not for contacts and calendars - and it is not a direct wifi connection to the computer.

6. FurryFoxMacuser thread starter macrumors member

FurryFoxMacuser

Thanks for the quick replies everyone. @seanfranklin, I was offered apple care+ but it was too much for me. And I was only able to get an 8GB iPhone 4. But all I wanted was an iPhone, didn't care what kind as long as it was in white (last phone sucked). But I am getting off topic. I have one other quick question. I have tried to get some free apps on my iPhone like firefox and Facebook, but I need to enter in a credit card number and my parents don't want to do that (doesn't make much sense since its a free app). Is there a way to bypass this? Thanks.

-Dan

7. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

No, you need a credit card on file to "purchase" free apps from the store.

8. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

Make an apple ID (assuming you don't have one) and get an iTunes gift card.

9. jjlannoo Suspended

If this was once required it isn't anymore. My account says "no card on file" and I can download free items no problem.

10. Jmclark macrumors regular

Go to the store and buy an iTunes gift card. I think that will validate your iTunes account and let you download free apps.

11. jjlannoo Suspended

why would he need a credit card or giftcard if I didnt?

12. balwx macrumors regular

Same here, no CC on file. I can download free apps.

13. Russiaone macrumors 6502

A one-year warranty is included with purchase. Apple Care extends it another year.