Just got my first MAC (i need help with iPhone)

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by alhajis, Aug 6, 2009.

1. alhajis macrumors member

Hi all, I had the first iPhone and then upgrade to the 3G and now i want to upgrade to the 3Gs but I'm afraid that I'll loose all my data. I always sync with a pc but now i want to start syncing with my MBP, I was able to sync my contacts by merging the iphone and MBP contacts, I was able to subscribe to all the podcast that i had on my pc and just sync podcast on the MBP. My problem now is TEXT and APPS... I want to keep all my text (they are dear to me) and also i want to keep some of my apps and there settings...
    These are the only 2 things that are holding me up to buy the 3Gs. I went to an AT&T store and they said they can only transfer my contacts and i'll loose all other stuff. The reason why i can upgrade is because I have 3 iphones on a family plan and i control them!!!!

2. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Sync old phone to iTunes on mac. But new iPhone. Sync with ITunes and restore settings. Voila!

3. alhajis thread starter macrumors member

Hmmm?

I tried that, and I got a message that says it'll erase all my data on the iPhone 3G... When I sync my contacts on the MBP, it did a backup of
    my 3G... Does that mean it also backup my texts and apps?

4. alhajis thread starter macrumors member

please help... i need to get the 3Gs. ASAP
    thanks

5. veeco3110 macrumors 6502

veeco3110

sync your old phone. make sure you do a complete back up. then buy the new phone. connect your new phone to it and restore from back up. simple as that. just did that a month ago.

6. alhajis thread starter macrumors member

Wrong!

You Guys are getting it all wrong! If you read my first post, you'll know that what you're referring to, is not what I'm looking for. I had the original iphone and upgraded to the 3G, so I know how to move my data to a new iphone. my problem is... i always sync my iphones with a PC and now i just got a MACBOOK Pro and and i love it so much that I'm using it as my main Computer and I want to sync my new 3Gs to it but keep my old iphone's data that is on the PC? I hope I made it clear this time?? if i wanted to keep syncing with the PC, I'll get the 3Gs connect it and click on restore from backup......EASY.

Thanks for your patience...

7. Nanook macrumors regular

Nanook

I am certain the backup on a Mac computer (not MAC=machine address code ;) ) contains your SMSs and app settings, but have never checked if apps are synced from the phone. Easy to check though: in iTunes, click on "Applications" in the left pane and see if they are listed.

8. alhajis thread starter macrumors member

I check on itunes mobile application folder on my macbook pro but it's empty..