Just got my first Mac!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Simple Living, Jan 5, 2008.

1. Simple Living macrumors member

I just bought my very first Mac, the 24" iMac, and I am absolutely over the moon! M$ people have absolutely no clue what they're missing out on! Using Windows is like buying a car but only getting to sit in it. It's like buying a book but not getting to read it. Mac is driving and reading and experiencing...

Sorry... had to get that out! It's been building in me since I got the iMac home on January 1st!

I do need help with something though. I'm slowly learning Mac, and I'm even enjoying the process. That's saying a lot because I'm not technologically savvy and I don't understand the lingo. Is it possible to download and save You Tube clips to keep on my iMac? If it's possible, I'd really like to save a video I ran across, but I'd need to be walked through it. (Sorry to be a pain.) Thanks in advance!

2. ingenious macrumors 65832

ingenious

Virginia, United States (Kansan in exile)

Congratulations on the new purchase!

If you're using Safari, it's really simple. Just navigate to the video on YouTube, and then go to Window>Activity and double click on the item that has a size in the megabytes. This will open a new Safari window and download the file to your downloads stack.

Since it's a .FLV (flash video) file, you'll need the Perian QuickTime component to be able to use the file in QuickTime, iTunes, iMovie, etc. (any application that uses QT as its base).

3. Simple Living thread starter macrumors member

You just became my new favorite person, securing a place on my Christmas Card list for years to come. A lot of people have been telling me it's impossible. Thank you VERY much!

4. zephead macrumors 68000

zephead

For when you download that movie off of YouTube, there's iSquint to convert it to go on your iPod.

5. Simple Living thread starter macrumors member

Now that will be even handier. Thanks!

Ingenious -- I tried following your steps, but when I get to the video, click on Windows and then Activity, I can see the video there, but it doesn't mention any size of the file or megabytes. The only categories in that area say ADDRESS and STATUS. I double-clicked on it and... nothing. Any ideas?

Now that I look, my downloads stack has disappeared off my dock, too. I didn't move it in any way. Another odd thing is that there is no HOME button on my toolbar at the top of the screen.

6. jeznav macrumors 6502

jeznav

Try dragging the item from the Activity window onto Downloads window. You should see a progress bar when that happens.

7. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

just click on the pic of your hard drive then click on your name in the left pane
    drag the download folder to the right of the white dashed line on your dock that now becomes you stack

Go to your menu bar click view>customize toolbar and drag the pic of the house to the toolbar

8. WildPalms macrumors 6502a

WildPalms

Just use GetTube link: http://web.mac.com/simonvrel/en/gettube/gettube.html

One click capture, automatically saves to your movies folder.

9. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

Congratulations on your new found understanding!

If you are trying to get youtube clips on to your mac... I would definitely suggest THIS website: http://zamzar.com/url/

You don't even have to download a program to make it work. I have been very impressed with it so far.....

10. maxrobertson macrumors 6502a

If you download an application called TubeTV (look on google for the link :) ) it will download it and then convert it for you so you can keep it in iTunes and put it on an iPod or iPhone, which I find really cool.

Congratulations, too!

11. darwinian macrumors 6502a

darwinian

Wow, I didn't know this prior to this thread - thanks to all ...

and congrats on your first Mac. The community support is one very nice feature. :)

12. S600MBUSA macrumors regular

Yep, I use TubeTV and I like it quite a bit. Link is below.

TubeTV

13. ingenious macrumors 65832

ingenious

Virginia, United States (Kansan in exile)
    :) you're welcome! I was really excited when I read that in an issue of Macworld.

Sorry, :) I left out an important step. Click the disclosure triangle next to the YouTube listing. This will bring up a listing of all of the YouTube pages you've been on in the current session. You need to find the correct one; usually this is possible by matching the visitation order or the v=[number] part of the YouTube URL.

Then double-click the one that's the movie, and it should start downloading.

Is that better? Sorry for the confusion.

You probably accidentally dragged the Downloads stack off of your Dock. Not to worry, the Stack is just a type of alias to a folder in your Home folder.

To get it back:
    -open a new Finder window
    -navigate to your home folder by click your shortname in the sidebar.
    -drag the folder labeled "Downloads" to your Dock (near the Trash).

For some reason, Safari doesn't normally have a home button on its toolbar. Right (or control-)click on the toolbar and then drag the home button from the window that comes up to your toolbar in Safari.

14. ::Lisa:: macrumors 6502a

::Lisa::

LOL me neither.

Congrats on your Mac. It's awsome isn't it (from another Windows convert ;))

15. Nightline macrumors regular

Nightline

Congrats..

Congrats on your purchase, I got my new Imac in late October, and I am still learning alot about it.

I would suggest subscribing to a few podcast in Itunes, one that I really like is called Screencasts Online, you can get more info at www.screencastsonline.com. The podcast is great because its video and the host shows you tons of different things.

Do a search in the podcast area for MAC in the technology area and you will find tons of useful podcasts.

Just remembered another one, its an audio only podcast but its called Help, I Got a Mac.. very good info there.

Enjoy.

16. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

And if you are using Firefox I recommend the Video Downloader Extension.