Just got my first Mac...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by miamialley, Dec 29, 2008.

1. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

I just got a late Macbook Pro, 2.4. No defects...no loose battery cover, no dead pixels, no crooked F keys. A great machine...very pleased so far.

There are definitely a few things I'm not sure how to do, as I'm used to Windows. Still, the OS seems much more fluid, user friendly and just...efficient.

2. PostTribber macrumors member

my first laptop...

recently purchased an early '08 mbp 15" (new) for half the price of the late '08 15". it's different, I like the mobility. and what with nehalem around the corner, snow leopard should make this a good investment for the time being. but down the road I will get a new mac pro which I will need to replace my sawtooth for video and (maybe) animation, for the rendering power.

3. mattyb240 macrumors 6502a

Welcome!

Let us know what questions you have! I would recommend using Mroogle (Link in my sig) it allows you to search the forums more efficiently so you can see if people have asked the same questions as you!

Hope you enjoy your mac experience!

4. shoppy macrumors 6502a

5. ManWithhat macrumors regular

If by corner, you mean 1-2 years.

6. The Hammer macrumors regular

Nice link. I think I'll use it as well.:D

7. Solemony macrumors 6502

Solemony

Nehalem? Probably not until maybe up to 2 years..likely..

8. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

Congrats man, you're gonna love your machine for a very long time.

ChrisN

9. PostTribber macrumors member

nehalem...

I thought the new Mac Pro's would be out with this soon? I'm just getting into Blender now, so I figure by the time I'm anyway near 'proficient', nehalem will be pretty common place among the desktops. I think their are several PC Desktops that have them already. but for laptops, you're right. and I'm even wondering if it would be worth it, considering current battery life.

10. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

he is talking about macbooks

11. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

You just have to work through that stuff. Some of it is hard because it's so much easier than with Windows, but it's just different. You should learn a bit about disk utility and where things are stored (iTunes library, iPhoto library, applications, Internet bookmarks). I would equate it to moving from the US to England and trying to speak their language. It's all English, but you'd better figure out what the loo is and the terms for cut-up potato products.

12. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

hey its hard for us when we come to america and we wonder why youd want to go to the toilet in the closet

13. digitard macrumors 6502a

digitard

I found this to be really helpful for me since it was my first Apple OS product (outside using some ancient Mac's in jr high to create some point/click games in Hypercard... i think it was hypercard. Anyways).

http://www.tuaw.com/category/mac-101/

14. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Congrats on your new computer and may both you and your wonderful new MBP live long and prosper together. You'll enjoy the MBP and give yourself time to learn how OS works. I switched last April and my MBP is the best computer I have ever had.

Cheers and good luck

15. mbcollins93 macrumors member

mbcollins93

congrats!!

I just bought my mac monday. This will be my first mac as well. it is supossed to be here this coming monday. Congrats, I hope you like it, i am absolutely syked about mine.