just got my first mb

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by chargers237, Jul 16, 2008.

1. chargers237 macrumors newbie

so i just got my first mac. its a 2.4 white macbook. since this is my first mac, i am kind of lost. what are the first things i should do with my macbook (like charging the battery all the way, installing something, etc.)?
    a list of steps would be perfect or a list from another website.
    thanks guys. i hope i enjoy my first macbook:D

and i saw something that said i should make another user account and use that instead of the administrator account. should i do that or does that not really matter?

2. EmptyCalm macrumors member

3. showtime macrumors 6502

I wondered the same thing when I got my first mac. Then I realized there wasn't anything to tweak. It really did just work right out of the box :p

4. pagansoul macrumors 65816

pagansoul

Get a cover for the outside and something for the keys. Write down passwords somewhere other than your computer, like a little notebook, and keep it in your desk. You may want to make a Password to protect from others getting inside. Have an external HD to backup your drive. Go into your iTunes settings and change Input (ripping music) to what you prefer. I changed mine to the VBR highest rating. You may want it at MP3 128 (very low rate to save space) or Lossless (highest and uses the most space). Set up bookmarks for your favorite sites. Check out some free programs like OmniOffice in MacUpdate. Check out bundle sales, like Macheist, to buy several programs at discount prices. Always test programs first. What do you use your computer for? School, reading, on-line buying, email, video viewing, work, fun, photography...read before you drop any money.

YOU ARE NOT ALONE

Attached Files:

5. gts197 macrumors regular

Congrats! Enjoy it. I also recommend the iStat Pro widget.

6. chargers237 thread starter macrumors newbie

i'll mostly use it for word, powerpoint, web-browsing, iTunes, garage band, e-mails, and watching movies on long trips.
    do i need to charge or do anything with the battery or can i just use it right out of the box? also, is it ok to leave the macbook plugged in to the charger almost all the time, or should i use battery and then charge?

thanks for your help so far.

7. gadabout macrumors member

people have different opinions on battery treatment.

from what i've heard/read, it is good to let the battery run all the way down and recharge all the way back up every few weeks.

8. Alx9876 macrumors 6502

Alx9876