Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

birddog0347

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 24, 2010
I am a longtime windows user/IT Nerd/MCSE/CCNA and I just picked up my first Mac today. I have a big learning curve to overcome with this thing but I like it a lot so far. I don't see myself ever going full time OSX, but when I am not working anyways I think it is a nice change of pace. I have had an iPhone for a few years, went from a 1st gen straight to the new iPhone 4 and LOVE it.

All that said I have some questions. I had a really tough time with the idea of spending nearly $1800 on a laptop (new 15 in) so instead I found a 13in on craigslist for $1000. It should do everything I need it to since I still have a pretty powerful desktop to use as well and this won't see much heavy lifting. However, the guy I bought it from has not been able to find the original disks for it yet (said he would keep looking) but I want to wipe it, start clean, and configure boot camp and I need the disks. There is an Apple store down the road but the question is will they give me new disks, charge me for them, or tell me tough luck? Is it like Windows where you have to use a key code? Also, is there a RDP client for this thing?

thanks...

ridnhard19

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2009
Not sure on the disks. The OS X installer/OS uses no key codes for license verification. Much better then the sticky windows stuff..

CoRD is a great RDP client. I use it quite a bit.

Jaro65

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2009
Seattle, WA
Consider also running Windows through WMware Fusion or Parallels. If you give the VM enough RAM and you have a decent HD (or better yet, an SSD), you may not need to run it through a Bootcamp.

birddog0347

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 24, 2010
ok, this is annoying... why can I not connect to my windows 7 desktop (smb://x.x.x.x) but I can to my brother's windows 7 desktop on the same network with from everything I can tell the exact same network settings? His prompts me to enter a user/pass and then shows me his shares. Mine just waits a few seconds and times out. I start researching it and I find that I need to enter a WINS server, or change the NTLM settings in network security on my desktop, or any number of other failed attempts... this seems awfully gay.

Next, I am trying to move some files off the MBP before I wipe it and start fresh, but I don't see an option to cut and paste, just copy and paste. Is there no easy way to CUT and paste?

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
There's no cut and paste. I haven't really missed it nor did I really use it all that much when I used Windows for the 4 years before my Mac. It's better to have a copy in case something goes wrong.

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
Next, I am trying to move some files off the MBP before I wipe it and start fresh, but I don't see an option to cut and paste, just copy and paste. Is there no easy way to CUT and paste?

If you're trying to move them, why do you want to cut them? Handy tip, when dragging files/folders in Finder if you hold down the command button while you release your mouse button, it will move them instead of copying.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.