Just got my gold iphone in mail! now what?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dudders24, Nov 2, 2013.

1. dudders24 macrumors newbie

Sorry im so new to this. Im with at&t and usually just buy my phones at the apple store and they take care of everything.

I just got my phone in the mail and havent turned it on but am i supposed to switch simcards or how do i activate the phone while deactivating the phone im currently using. thanks!

2. Jades macrumors 6502

3. BullittMustang macrumors 6502a

Don't switch the sims... Just call AT&T and they will walk you through it.

4. tworth23 macrumors regular

Easy!

All you need to do is turn on phone and follow prompts. The new iPhone will activate and old one will deactivate.

5. nwmtnbiker macrumors 68000

nwmtnbiker

6. Justin33 macrumors regular

Justin33

So how does all the info, pics, music and apps get moved over? I'm terrible with itunes and I have to have bad luck moving things.

7. irfan22 macrumors regular

This.

8. erure macrumors regular

What I do is first connect my old iPhone to the computer, then back up with iTunes and transfer purchases (file -> device -> transfer purchases). Then I put the old iPhone on airplane mode and turn on the new iPhone and connect it to my computer and set it up using the old iPhone's backup. This will pretty much put everything on the old iPhone into your new iPhone. Then activate by calling AT&T (in my case Verizon). Good luck!

9. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

No need to call your provider (if you AT&T - don't know about VZW). Just follow the on-screen prompts after you turn on the new phone. To transfer everything, just back-up the old phone and transfer purchases then restore to your new phone when prompted (restore from iTunes backup).

10. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Your title sounds like the dog who finally got its tail and go, Now What? :D

11. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

If you still have access to your previous iPhone, first just initiate an iCloud backup. Then pop out the sim from that one (assuming it's an iPhone 5) and put it in the 5S. Then power on your 5S and follow the on screen prompts. Just make sure you select "restore from iCloud" during the setup and it'll have you log in with your Apple ID. It'll do it's thing and have all your settings/apps from your old iPhone. No need to deal with iTunes.

12. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

Of course this is all assuming that 1) he has only 5GB of iCloud storage and 2) he can fit his entire backup to 5GB.

13. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

Good point, that thought didn't occur to me. If everything fits in iCloud, then the instructions in my post still stand.