Just got my iPad2, have a question about iCal and iMessage

Discussion in 'iPad' started by RonDeGregorio, Jan 10, 2012.

1. RonDeGregorio macrumors member

RonDeGregorio

Hey all,
    Just got my first iPad!

When I get/send imessages on my iphone, they don't get pushed to my iPad. Any ideas of what I have set up incorrectly?

Secondly, my cal app wont seem to sync.

It shows that it has all of my cals from my Mac and exchange accounts checked, but nothing is showing up on my cal.

Any clues guys?

Thanks!

2. Zcott macrumors 68020

Under iMessage settings on your iPhone, change the caller ID to your email address. The iPad can't receive messages sent to your phone number.

3. jtmav macrumors member

I believe you can set it up to receive at 2 addresses, 1-phone and 2-email address.

JTMav

4. RonDeGregorio thread starter macrumors member

RonDeGregorio

Thanks! I'll try that out!

Any clue about the calendar?

5. RonDeGregorio thread starter macrumors member

RonDeGregorio

Also, doesn't seem like that fixed it!

On the iPhone, my phone number is grayed out, like I can't remove it.
    My email addresses are the same on the iPhone and iPad.

Not sure what the problem could be!

6. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

The person sending has to be sending to one of the emails you use with iMessage, for it to sync to your iPad. It will not work if they text your phone number.

7. RonDeGregorio thread starter macrumors member

RonDeGregorio

But after they send it to my email, will it sync up if they should text my phone number?

8. caligomez macrumors regular

caligomez

I'm pretty sure that the texts to the phone number will not be received on the iPad..

9. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

That's what everyone's trying to say....NO! Your iPad cannot receive messages sent to your phone number, because the iPad is NOT a phone!

10. TLewis macrumors 65816

As everyone else is saying, no. iMessages sent to your phone number go only to your iPhone. No where else. Ever.

If you want messages to be sent to all of your devices, the iMessages must be sent to an email address that is listed below Settings->Messages->Receive At, and that email address must exist on all of your iOS devices. Also, if you have an iPhone, you should set the iPhone's iMessage Caller ID to be the same as your iPad/iPod touch (see Settings->Messages->Receive At->Caller ID). If you don't, iMessages from your iPhone and iPad/iPod touch will end up in two different conversation threads on your recipient's device, and any replies will go to only one of your devices, and not both. (Basically, everyone with both an iPhone and an iPad/iPod touch should do this.)

I'm tired of repeating all this, so go here: http://guides.macrumors.com/iMessage

11. DNAppleGold macrumors regular

iMessage iPad iPhone synch

Here is a good post. Two big keys.
    1. In iphone seetings there are two places your need to put your Mac ID email. Recieve at AND caller ID. I missed callee ID for a while because it is sou counterintuitive.
    2. Old message threads in your iPhone will still have the phone nimbler as caller ID. Thus you will need to either delete any old thread on your iPhone or star a new thread from your iPad. Yes this sucks. http://idarwindaily.wordpress.com/2011/10/14/sync-imessages-between-your-iphone-ipad-and-ipod-touch/

12. Michael1978 macrumors newbie