just got my iphone 5 replaced, not restoring from backup!

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by prvt.donut, Sep 28, 2013.

1. prvt.donut macrumors 6502a

prvt.donut

Shock horror!!!

I have been iCloud backing up for a few months now. Last week, I also did a full backup before the ios7 upgrade.

My lock button stopped working this week so I went to teh apple store and they replaced it.

I get home to restore the phone, but it seems it is thinking this new phone is my main phone and did a backup when I connected to iTunes. I am trying to restore my phone but the only option is the backup it took when I first connected it 5 minutes ago.

I went on holiday recently, and have lots of nice videos, I thought photo stream had been loading them all for me but the videos are missing from iPhoto!!!! SO I really need to get my phone restored properly!

How can I restore the backup i made last week before the iOS update????

2. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

That can't be correct.

I don't backup to iCloud, but iTunes offers the option to backup to any existing backup.

Unless you overwrote the last backup with your new phone. Hopefully you didn't name it the same as the defective phone, because that might have overwritten your backup.

3. Tiptizzle macrumors 6502

I'm not sure how iTunes decides how many backups to keep, but I currently have 18 backups between my different devices. Are you sure there's not a dropdown box with more choices?

----------

Also, I think iCloud does a full backup of your photos and videos, assuming you have it set to back them up. Might be worth trying to restore from iCloud.

4. Jon-PDX macrumors regular

I also don't use iCloud backup but I did a quick search and found this.....

iCloud: Restore your iOS device from iCloud
    http://support.apple.com/kb/ph12521

Hopefully that helps,

Jon...

5. prvt.donut thread starter macrumors 6502a

prvt.donut

I didn't assign the phone a name, but it seems to have given it the same name as my old phone. Maybe because it has the same SIM card?

Drop down list only shows the 1 option and the time is from when I got home from the apple store! Grrrr

6. Jon-PDX macrumors regular

That sounds like it backed up locally to iTunes when you connected it to the computer.

Make sure you are logged into iCloud and check your iCloud settings on the phone to make sure they are the same as before.

According to the link I provided your backup's are in iCloud and you do the restore from iCloud (unless I totally misunderstood the tech article).

Jon...

7. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

That's where you missed it. You connected it to iTunes. Your backup is iCloud and has to be triggered when setting up the phone. Once you get to the icon home screen it's too late. Surprised the folks at the store didn't walk you through the right way.

To get back to that option you need to erase the phone and set it again. Settings, general, reset, erase all. You will lose anything on the phone at this time so make sure you have copied any photos, listened to any voicemails, read any texts etc.

Watch for the screen that says restore from iCloud.

8. prvt.donut thread starter macrumors 6502a

prvt.donut

Ok, so I wiped the new phone and ran through the initial setup again.

This time I made sure to restore from iCloud and the backup i took a few days ago was there! It is now slowly syncing my photos, I hope the videos are all there.

Why hadn't they been auto synced into my iPhoto Library though? all the photos are. I thought camera roll syncs the videos now too!

Any ideas?

9. Jon-PDX macrumors regular

Good to hear you were able to access your iCloud backup :)

Regarding iPhoto:
    If you have been downloading from the phone to iPhoto then it should have imported the pictures and videos into iPhoto. I just took a couple photos and a video, plugged the phone in, opened iPhoto, and it imported both the photos and the video.

If you have iPhoto syncing with iCloud I have no idea how that works.....sorry.

Jon...

10. prvt.donut thread starter macrumors 6502a

prvt.donut

I'm using the automagic cameraroll sync do its stuff. I saw that it is also meant to now do videos. I think I will now manually transfer these videos over today as they are too important.

Thanks for your help.

FYI, the Genius did the setup herself. I think she skipped the icloud part just so that I could have a working phone and she said to do the restore back at home.

I had assumed the process would have been to throw in my icloud info and restore from there. But as we found out, I had to wipe it again and restore from the icloud backup during the initial setup.

11. Jon-PDX, Sep 28, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2013

Jon-PDX macrumors regular

I also thought all you would have to do was login to iCloud at anytime to get it all back.

So I've also learned something.

Jon...