Just got my iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by FatDan, May 20, 2008.

1. FatDan macrumors newbie

Been a blackberry man and didn't really think about switching to an iPhone until I had a play with one at the Mac shop. Few minutes and I'd signed up on O2.

Can't believe how cool it is. Still haven't figured everything out but surfing and watching movies is brilliant. Super quick over here in the UK.

Has anybody seen the diamond iPhone - how cool is that. I mean it's a bit over the top but it looks dead sexy. Of course you couldn't use it in public cause it would get pinched. Anybody customised there iPhone or have any tips?

2. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

I would honestly recommend returning it immediately.
    A new model is expected to be released within the next 3 weeks with 3G and possibly GPS.

3. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

There is literally a plethora of sites to check out to make the most of your iPhone. This site has some good stuff, but if you want to get in to jailbreaking its not the best. Check out modmyifone.com or the best, IMO, ipodtouchfans.com. Nearly everything that applies to the Touch also applies to the phone.

You may consider returning it to see if a new model is released in June. Many people would bet their first born children that it's being released on June 9th (not me) or by the end of June (this I could see). I got mine towards the end of April but decided after having it for a bit that I couldn't return it and play the waiting game. And if they are really going to be releasing a new model every year, than its not too long before the 3rd Gen comes along (see the Golden Rule of Tech. Toys, aka, there's always a new model coming around the bend.)

But, if you're happy with it, enjoy that mofo. iPhone's are amazing.

4. MattyK macrumors 6502a

MattyK

dont take it back, it's your phone and if you're enjoying it. keep it and use it for however long you want

5. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

I agree. I personally don't get the hype around the new iPhone.. OK so what it's 3G.
    At least for me... I don't use 3G, only browse the net per Wifi, so I got myself a 16GB (relatively) cheap iPhone off e-bay. It came with a crappy jailbreak so I had to restore and re-jailbreak (& unlock) now I'm using my second sim on it, and all works perfectly. If I decided to get the 3G phone (and pay probably considerably more for it, plus wait until hacks for it are released) I'd force myself to use the 3G feature extensively to make up for the price.

What the user I quoted said.. if you like it, who gives if they release newer models. They always will, that doesn't make the one you have now any less cool or useful to you. Offhand I'd buy a new phone only when I decide I need features that my current phone doesn't have, and I can't think of any right now!

Only buy the new phone if you really need 3G!!

6. MattyK macrumors 6502a

MattyK

mm, i wish it was that simple for me :p
    i live in australia see, so i have to wait for the 3g iphone, personally i dont want it id prefer the 2g, as the 3g is rumoured to be bigger, and i have no need for it. i'd be paying for somthing i dont need.
    so im not sure as to buy 2g from usa (ebay) and risk it being a paperweight or enjoying it, or buy a 3g iphone here and be totally sure.

7. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

I see =P Man, yet another reason I'm glad to be living in good old Europe, though I'm quite fond of Down Under:D

Yeah, it probably will be a tad fatter, doubt it'll be taller. At least if you look at the pictures of the cases for both iPhone versions. Though, with iPhone, I doubt you'd be risking much, since you can always re-sell it if it doesn't work. Though to be honest I can't see why it wouldn't. I'm sure there's plenty of GSM networks around? Most providers offer both GSM and 3G - after all the majority of the population are still running around with ancient phones;)

8. MattyK macrumors 6502a

MattyK

ahha yeahh
    the whole area i live in is smuthered with n95's blackberries and razors, it irritates me.
    yeah i live in sydney, so theres 3g and wifi hotspots all over the place, its sorta like a fat guy in a room, hes not really in 1 part of the room, hes all around it
    even both of my nextdoor neighbours have unprotected wireless networks, thanks to them, im posting this from my macbook :)
    ahah. yeah but i am quite fond of the white 2G switcheasy capsule http://www.switcheasy.com/iPhone.htm not sure they've made one for 3g as of yet.

9. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

Haha I had a n95 last year and hated it beyond measure :p
    Yeah, you're luckier than I... I'm in a s**thole little hole and little chance of good wifi opportunity.

As I said before.. I way wouldn't worry about the 3G / GSM thing, there's enough providers out there that have both. Check the internet site of your provider or phone em up to find out. It's worth a shot before you invest in something you may not have needed to start off with.

Those cases are sexy. Do the iphones scratch easy? May wanna check for a case anyway. Though I'm reluctant to cause I love the back of it so much, hate to cover it up :cool:

10. MattyK macrumors 6502a

MattyK

hmm yeah.
    so you're saying i should just buy a 2G iphone from ebay?
    seeing as to i would have little use for the 3G one

11. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

Well I'm saying I'd be extremely surprised if it doesn't work with a vast majority of mobile networks. Without trying to push you into anything, but I'd definitely hit it. The worst that can happen to you is you have to resell with a slight loss. However that's worth a risk, judging by the money you save over the 3G phone if it does work.

12. MattyK macrumors 6502a

MattyK

hmm i agree
    well it would work on any carrier, as i would jailbreak it
    god i'm rebellious.
    im just concerned as to if the iphone say.. its touch stops working, or it totally dies, because then i would be screwed, and stuck with an expencive paperweight, but is there really any chance of that happening anyway? and i couldn't live with a phone with a low speaker sound. i love my music :) anyways, off to bed, if you have somthin else to say, just message it to me, i'll reply in the morning :p

13. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

Hehe sure, I jailbroke both my ipod touch and the iphone, I'd have to aswell since I'm on pay as you go. Shell out for a tariff? Haha no way.

At the end of the day though I suppose it's up to the individual to decide if he / she wants to unlock and get free apps and freedom to use any sim however the warranty is the issue, or go the apple-approved way and pay for a contract and a more expensive phone however at increased security. As far as I'm concerned, the benefits outweigh the risks, but that's just me.:) If you do get the phone off e-bay though, let me know how it went! mail me anytime for a follow-up chat =)