Just got my iPod Touch 4G

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by chocboy, Sep 14, 2010.

1. chocboy macrumors newbie

Hey everyone- I'd like to review the iPod Touch 4G, having just got the 32GB today.

So....first thing. The issue I forsee right now is case availability. The Apple Store was indefinitely out of stock, and it's tough to get one right now. So if you buy now, you've got to protect it out of the case for a good while.

Now..obviously the big fling is the Camera. It's pretty darn good. Only problem is the zoom...but what do you expect with a digital? And the VGA camera in front is nice too.

I would also like to say the microphone is a nice little tool. Within a short while, I'm sure we'll have VOIP apps that make use of the FaceTime mic.

Retina Display- really guys, it's a gimmick, but nice. The display is definitely brighter and more crisp, but not a noticeable switch from my 2G.

Game Center- now THAT's a joke. There's hardly any apps that even support it, and you can already game against others in-app! Really, it's nice, but it serves no purpose. If you're getting this for game center, don't get it. Save money and get a 3G.

Headphones- Yes, I know everyone's complaining that these don't have the nice built in mic and volume control. But what's the point to having them now that the Touch has both built-in? The headphones are noticeably more durable and firm than the 2G ones. So either way, an update.

Cable- appears to be a bit shorter than usual.

"Slimmer and lighter design"- let's put it this way. The 4G fits into my 2G case with maybe a milimeter of excess space. So again, maybe an exaggeration.

Overall, I'm very happy with it. The 32 Gigs of space is wayyy more than enough, I would have preferred a 16 and lower price. Don't get a 64. That's more memory than you can possibly play on a single charge. And 100 bucks more.

By the way- I don't know if you knew, but if you have a dead/broken iTouch, you can get 10 percent off if you trade it in.

It's nice to say that I don't believe they jacked up the price too much, correct me if I'm wrong. The 4G is a very nicely designed machine, and I give it full stars!

2. Warbitrary macrumors regular

I'm sorry you find the retina display is "not a noticeable switch". I have normal vision and the retina display blew me away the first time I saw it.

Game Center is available for FREE on the 3G and the 2G. If you bought the 4G because of Game Center, you have no sympathy from me.

And of course GC doesn't have many games supporting it, it was just released! When the App Store debuted it didn't have many apps either. So are you saying the App Store is joke too?

Part of the complaining is that there is no pause/next/previous button on the earphones. This is very convenient for controlling playback while leaving your iPod in your pocket. In cold climates, you can also control playback without taking off your gloves (the iPod screen doesn't work with gloves).

Excuse me? I have 63GB of media and I love carrying all of it around with me.

Thanks for the review.

3. bigcat.101 macrumors newbie

Yeah definitely. This fourth generation may be not as good as the iPhone 4, but it is an extreme improvement over the last generation iPod touch.

4. nzcatfood macrumors newbie

What an idiotic statement to make. Everyone has different uses for their gadgets and different requirements. More importantly, the higher resolution screen means that 64GB of video storage is equivalent to 16GB in terms of actual pixels.

5. SlamJam12 macrumors regular

Accessories

Do you have a sound dock or stereo you play your new iPod touch on? I was wondering if it is still compatible with these older accessories like the BOSE sound dock.

6. Outrun1986 macrumors 6502

As far as cases the only ones I know of are the chinese made ones on ebay, but they are very cheap (most under $3 for US buyers). If you are buying a touch I recommend ordering a case ahead of time and getting the iPod later, especially if you are like me and don't have an iPod case from a previous gen laying around. The cases can take a while to get to your house. The chinese cases probably won't be the best but they will protect the back until better cases are available.

7. burgundyyears macrumors 6502

You may wish to consult an optometrist if 320x480 and 640x960 look the same to you. (Try Safari.) ;)

Enjoy the touch!

8. kelving525 macrumors regular

They are available in Best Buy.

9. tablo13 macrumors 65816

tablo13

I have a Sony cmt-bx20i and it doesn't work. :( now I have to plug it in the computer to charge it.

10. dhlee528 macrumors member

I have samsung home theater
    I bought it last year and it works fine with new ipod touch (it also charge)
    also 2010 Camry has USB port and camry audio play and charge ipod music too

11. wootwootman macrumors member

Don't feed the troll.:rolleyes:

not you, the guy you were quoting

12. chocboy thread starter macrumors newbie

Just because my opinions differ doesn't mean I'm a troll. :mad:

I don't see what everyone's getting all hyped up over. I have perfect vision, and just can't see too much of a difference with the display. But then again, my 2G had been broken for a week, so it wasn't a back-to-back switch. Anyway, as Burgundyyears suggested, I did consult an opthamologist (that is the correct phrasing), who happens to be my cousin. He stated that certain eyes, more likely to be those with an already-stimulated retina, are less apt to pick up pixelation details. So whatever Apple has been doing on the screens, it might end up not making a difference with certain eyes.

I don't see why you would. The iPod's top battery life playing video is under 7 hours. Around 2GB is going to equal 2 hours. That means that you could, at most, play under 10 GB on a single charge. And if you're going to have access to a computer or iTunes library to charge, then you can just swap it out. Yes, I understand you like having that variation, but many are not willing to pay 100 dollars for the upgrade. I, personally, was annoyed to have to get a 32 GB; the 8 was just a bit too small, and I wished I could have spent maybe 50 more for a 16 GB. When it comes to functionality, you are correct. There's no harm in carrying half your hard drive around. But when we're looking at practicality aspects, then a 64 is going to be too much.

Correct. But WHY is it needed? I can name 10 different apps off the top of my head that already support peer-to-peer gaming. If you guys recall, when the paid 3.0 update came out, P2P gaming was one of the features (along with other aspects we take for granted, like WiFi video download). I think a better solution would be to have a standardized, non-app Game Center that supports basic games like Chess, Checkers, etc. Then play the other apps multiplayer in-app. But GC is basically just a hyped-up app store that standardizes P2P functions. There's no need to have a separate app if you want to game against others.

And an even more idiotic one above. :D

I'm sorry if I seem ticked off, but I have a right to an opinion over this stuff. 64 gigabytes is for memory hogs; it's way too much and I strongly oppose making it an option. If you are a developer or someone who needs a souped-up iPod, then I'm sure Apple can work out a device like the iPhone the App Store technicians use (without the scanner).

13. dave1812dave macrumors 6502a

what is YOUR problem?? How was the OP trolling?? sheesh!

14. wootwootman macrumors member

sorry, im just anxious 'cause amazon has yet to change the status of my ipod's shipping