Just got my iPod Touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Holmes89, Aug 4, 2008.

1. Holmes89 macrumors regular

Holmes89

I just got my iPod touch and was wondering what you would suggest for software (free preferably but will shell out money for a few games). My question is though, if I purchased it from Apple will it have the 2.0 software already on it or do I still need to purchase it? Thanks for all of the help.

2. Mikey- macrumors regular

No, all new iPod's will come with the 2.0 software. A few free games i recommend are BreakClassic and SudokuFree if you can do it :)

3. Holmes89 thread starter macrumors regular

Holmes89

My macbook doesn't come for a day or two, will I be able to download apps until it comes or even use it?

4. Mikey- macrumors regular

If you have your iPod Touch now then yes. Tap the App Store icon on the iPod's home screen and browse the apps.

5. GloveSlap415 macrumors newbie

My iPod Touch just arrived this morning and it's got 1.1.5 firmware. I was hoping it would come with 2.0...

6. dasikes macrumors 6502a

dasikes

I haven't heard anywhere that it was shipping with 2.0. However; GET 2.0!! It adds such unbelievable functionality to your iPod, it's waay more than worth a mere $10.

However, highly recommended (free) apps:

Free Apps

Remote - Wifi control of your computer iTunes. One of the best apps out there.

Facebook (if you're into that)

WeatherBug

WordPress (if you're into that)

myLite or any free flashlight app. Very useful.

Paid Apps

Pocket Lint - keep track of several bank accounts. There may be a free version now, but there wasn't when I got this.

Games

Free Games - Aurora Feint, Cube Runner, Jirbo Break, Labyrinth LE, Spinner

Paid Games - Vay, Super Monkey Ball, Five Dice, Vector Pong

7. coupdetat macrumors 6502

The NYTimes app is really cool too, if you read it :D Downloads lots of stories which are then available offline. It's the perfect 21st century newspaper!!

I was holding off on the 2.0 update because I was mad that Apple was charging $10 when iPhone users got it free, but the upgrade really is incredible.

Oh, and get the stapler simulator app.

8. MrGiggles058 macrumors newbie

MrGiggles058

Have any of you heard of videohamster the flash player converter? Well It was working awesome and now all of the sudden it has stopped working does anyone know why?

9. Holmes89 thread starter macrumors regular

Holmes89

Would it mess up my iPod to get the 2.0 on my windows machine if I plan on syncing it with my Macbook when it comes in a few days?

10. dasikes macrumors 6502a

dasikes

I don't see why it would. You'll have to restore it and everything, but the software should stay the same. If it doesn't, Apple will give you another install. There's no way they would charge you twice for it, if that's what you're concerned about.

11. therealmrbob macrumors regular

therealmrbob

lol you're actually wrong.
    they ship with 1.1.3 =P

I would say go ahead and get 2.0 it's worth the money

Apps I like:

AIM - Mostly just cuz I don't like using safari to talk to my aim buddies, it works alright.

NetNewswire - A really really great rss reader, syncs with newsgator

Teleport - AMAZING AMAZING remote desktop app

Remote - Control iTunes, yay!

Units - Unit converter, works perfectly.

Games:

Chopper - Uses the accelerometer for movement and you shoot bad guys and rescue people. lol

galkon - This one's addicting, you basically have a planet and which has a certain amount of people and you send them to other planets to take them over and you have enemies etc. a lot of different kinds of games and like 10 different difficulty levels and random level generation.

Hold em' - Texas hold em' ui is great. ai is a lil sad. but it's fun.

ikanoid - Pretty much what the name says a decent arkanoid clone.

Enigmo - A physics game, use different parts that do different things to move dripping water from one point to another.

Solar Quest - You have a ship, you use the accelerometer to move up and down and avoid things to get to the end of the levels.

Starsmasher - Ever played starfox on n64? that's what you have here.

tetris - It's exspensive but it's a fun tetris game. lol

breakclassic - a brick breaking game, great graphics and pretty colors haha

Vector Pong - Basically what the name says. 3D pong, uses the accelerometer for controls.

de Blob - It's a silly cell shaded game. haven't put too much time into it. but it's pretty fun.

pool - It's a pretty solid pool game. lol

Bejewled 2 - I never really liked this on pc, my sister loved it. downloaded it for her and started playing it myself XD pretty graphics. sides that it's bejewled. lol

flipbook - make a flipbook on your ipod, always fun =P

12. dasikes macrumors 6502a

dasikes

Actually, they can ship with 1.1.4 (as mine did) and if you read the thread, you'll see that the OP got 1.1.5 with his.

13. jzuena macrumors 6502a

jzuena

It shouldn't. I sync my Touch to a Windows machine for the contacts and calendar and to my Mac for everything else. You use iTunes to manage which computer will sync with your Touch for different categories. The only thing I can't answer is whether your purchasing the 2.0 software update will transfer over to the Mac (so you don't have to make future upgrades [to 2.1, etc.] from the Windows box). It looks like that is stored in your purchase history in the iTunes Store, so you should be OK, but I haven't made any purchases from my Windows machine.

As a side note, has anyone successfully gotten Outlook to push contact info to MobileMe? If I could get that working I wouldn't have to sync my Touch to Windows at all.

14. Artofilm macrumors 6502a

Artofilm

New iPod touches will come with the 1.1.5 software.
    If you look into the 2.0 software, it is called "iPhone Software". Why would a new iPod have iPhone software included?

15. jrnewhouse macrumors member

jrnewhouse

One word...Trism! Great game! If you like word games, Scrabble works very well.

16. scotty96LSC macrumors 65816

scotty96LSC

Yep. Trism is my favorite.