Just got my leap motion in the mail!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by BBman, Jul 19, 2013.

1. BBman, Jul 19, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2013

BBman macrumors member

Going to set it up now...

Album Gallery

Edit: gotta wait until July 22nd for the setup page to go live!

2. kamuix macrumors regular

That actually looks pretty cool. Please let us know how well it works :D

3. calearne macrumors member

calearne

4. BBman thread starter macrumors member

The cables are USB 2.0 to micro USB 3.0 connector.

5. sevimli macrumors 6502a

It is USB3.0

6. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68030

7. Jesla macrumors 6502

Jesla

Mine should arrive tomorrow according to Fed Ex……..

8. BBman thread starter macrumors member

Got it through FedEx, funny thing is I had no idea I was getting it and in fact leap motion sent me the tracking number many hours later after receiving it.

The setup page goes live tomorrow so you're good! unlike me ive been sitting on a paper weight the past two days.

9. Haifisch macrumors regular

Do report back! I'm curious as to what it can do.

10. munakib macrumors 6502

11. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68030

Engadget reviews wasn't much better, hopefully mines arrives this afternoon and I can check it out tonight.

12. dude-x macrumors regular

I have one too! But I've been waiting half an hour for the driver/app bundle to download.

13. Jesla macrumors 6502

Jesla

14. BBman thread starter macrumors member

Initial impressions are pretty disappointing to say the least.:( Downloaded "Touchless for mac" and the thing is very glitchy and unresponsive at times. not to mention that half the time it doesn't understand the difference between "pinch" zoom and scrolling(very frustrating).

Overall not the fluid and smooth operation I expected like portrayed in the demo videos. Needless to say its still a pretty new device with new apps, here's hoping with time they'll iron out the wrinkles and I can use this thing like Tony Stark.

15. elgrecomac, Jul 27, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2013

elgrecomac macrumors 65816

elgrecomac

Leap Motion - One man's opinion

Packaging:
    Ha! A total copy of Apple: A small, stark white box with a photo of the device and LEAP in bold letters.

Inside the box: again, very much like Apple. Minimalist all the way.

Install: Smooth, but Leap Motion has been updating its drivers daily thus far.

User Experience: Nothing like the videos. Somewhat difficult to use, depending on the app. Sometime the gestures are not very intuitive and some apps just don't seem to work worth a damned.

Sensitivity to bright light: the controller will warn you if your room/environment is too bright. It goes into robust mode but, bright light is an issue.

General comment: This reminds me of the Newton in that it was ahead of its time and not quite ready for prime time when initially sold.

Suggest to Leap and their developers: POST YOUTUBE VIDEOS OF YOUR APP SETUP AND OPERATION. Its just not as intuitive as you may think it is.

My hope: Leap Motion works hard to make the device and software realize its full potential...but I think we are 12 months or more away from that.

16. Commy1 macrumors 6502a

Commy1

That's a really cool idea, I just can't imagine using it myself. If other people saw me using it they'd think I went insane until they saw the screen. Even though I'd only be using it to scroll through forums :rolleyes: kind of a waste.

17. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Thanks for taking the time to post the review. Your thoughts are inline with every other review I have read. This thing just does not seem ready for prime time.

18. pat park macrumors 6502a

I just picked a Leap from Best Buy this morning.
    It does take some getting used to. Your arm and shoulder will be sore!

The hover/click areas must be understood and I think alot of people are getting mixed up with this point.

You can hover about 2-3 inches away from the sensor. You have to feel where the sweet spot is and you can see it on the cursor on the screen. When your finger is furthest out in the hover zone, the circle/cursor is wide. As you get closer to the sensor the circle gets smaller. When its in the click zone, it turns green and you can then push the to click. Scrolling and clicking are difficult at first, but with a little practice, it gets better.

I'm still playing around with it and its getting better. I don't see this replacing my Magic Mouse/Trackpad anytime soon. But for $79, it is a cool item to have on hand. I see some improvements in the software/firmware side of things helping it out eventually.

I have Better Touch Tool already installed and configured Mission Control, back/forwards swipes in safari - similar to trackpad gestures and it gets it right most of the time. The end all, be all of input devices? Most def not, but it has some serious potential. Give it time. A work in progress.

19. gwerhart0800 macrumors 6502

I got mine in the mail yesterday and after a few hours of playing with it, I am definitely getting "leap shoulder". I have played around with my chair position and other factors, but it is quite the pain in my shoulder to use for any length of time.

That withstanding, it is a very cool way to interact. I was originally hoping to use it to write a sign language teaching tool, but the fidelity of the finger tracking fails when the fingers are not outstretched. So, it will not track any of the hand signs that involve making fists or similar. (Like the "A" for instance.)

20. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

I'm curious after a week now are you guys using it less and less as the novelty wears off, or more and more as you settle in and find useful ways to take advantage of it?

21. ZipZap macrumors 601

The potential is tremendous...the available apps is lagging.

It is also a bit finicky but time will tighten this up.