Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BG-Mac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 31, 2007
Hey so I just took delivery on my replacement Mac Pro as my last one had major issues. I've got a quick question regarding hard drives. Can I just pop out the stock HD, move it to Bay 2, put a Velociraptor in Bay 1 and then boot up and move my OS and Apps to the VR? Will I have any issues booting from Bay 2 right off the bat with the stock HD? I know this is kind of a noob question but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

gugucom

macrumors 68020
May 21, 2009
Munich, Germany
You can boot from any of the drives. I have an assortment of NTFS and HFS+ drives from 160 GB to 2 TB and have never cared where I boot the sucker.

TheStrudel

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2008
Drive location doesn't matter. Just make sure you're booting the right one if you have more than one boot volume (you can set this at startup).

pprior

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2007
As noted the mac pro does not care one bit where a drive is physically. You can boot from any drive bay.

You set the boot drive via system preferences.

Boot from your current drive, clone it to the VR, and then change the boot drive using system preferences. Then reboot and voila...

You don't need to physically move your current drive unless you're obsessive compulsive and the thought of booting from a bay other than bay 1 will upset your comfort with the universe.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.