JUST GOT MY MACBOOK, Help ??

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by xcrskim, May 12, 2007.

1. xcrskim macrumors member

This is my first Mac, I used windows before this but I have just purchased my first MacBook Pro today and I am in need of some dire help. I've been on this thing for over 10 hours straight.

Why do I have to keep installing programs over and over again for them to work after i restart the computer ?
    i.e. I downloaded firefox and it works fine when i installed it, but when i restart the computer i click the firefox icon and a transparent question mark shows up and i have to reinstall it for it to work.

What are the things that show up on the desktop to the right that look like a harddrive(the icon), is there any way I can get rid of it ?

Again, I think this ties in with my first question, my settings dont save when i shutdown/restart, am I doing something wrong ?

Is there any way I can transfer my itunes library/playlists from my old PC desktop to my new Mac ? Same question with some pictures i have on my old PC desktop.

Sorry for the long read, and if anyone can be so kind and help me out, it will be greatly appreciated, thank you guys so much.

2. M@lew macrumors 68000

M@lew

The drive on your desktop are disk images which stores the program you want to install, like a cd. To install it you don't just run it from that image, you have to DRAG the program to your applications folder. Think of it as copying it from a cd onto your mac.

That should answer your questions apart from the iTunes one which I'm not too sure about.

3. BrianVarick macrumors member

Since your in the beginning stages, everything is going to be new and confusing for you, but you'll learn very quickly. Just make sure you keep everything organized, don't have everything spread out over your ocmputer, keep your finder organized and it will be less of a headache.