Just got my Macbook Pro! and have questions...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by HazzFq, Oct 24, 2007.

1. HazzFq macrumors member

just hooked it up to my wireless and its amazing!!

but i was wondering about free software. I need a program like microsoft office, i heard Neo office is the best free one for macs.

I also need a MSN messanger that you can use the isight as a webcam if thats possible, I heard Amsn does that but though i would check with you guys.

Cheers!

2. MikeyTree macrumors 6502

I use Adium for IMing, though I don't know if it can use the isight with it. I've never tried.

I can't help you with the office. I use MS Office; I bought it a few weeks ago, so I can get the (almost) free upgrade to Office 2008 for $10.

3. SayCheese macrumors 6502a

I used to use Adium for instant messaging and would still if I could get it to connect. For some reason it won't. I think it may be my router.

Neo Office is a good package. Does everything most people need.

Enjoy the Macbook Pro, it's a great bit of kit, I love mine.

4. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

It can't. Adium doesn't work with video chat.

5. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

neo office is very slow because its written in java. if you want a free open source office app that isnt dog slow then i recommend open office (its still in alpha though but very good). or just use the iwork trial that came with your mac! its very good. ive had no problems exporting .doc,.xls,.ppt and using them on the pcs at my university.

6. paul.b.davis macrumors 6502

paul.b.davis

if you are a student at almost any university, they will sell MS Office at the university bookstore for macs for dirt cheap

i myself use iWork, but that is one way to get Office

7. Schroedinger macrumors regular

Schroedinger

I will second Open Office. I think you may need to install X11, but that's pretty easy. Just search the forums if you need help with that.

8. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

aMSN works with webcam and I have no trouble recieving but for some reason sending webcam doesnt work that well...

I have got it to work once but it was somehow by fluke and when it says on my computer that the other person can see the webcam they sometimes cant!

If you want to solely webcam with one or two people I would reccommend using either iChat or Skype as the webcam feature works seemlessly on both!