Just got my macbook pro but

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jetjaguar, Apr 6, 2009.

1. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

it came with the wrong screen. I purchased a 17 inch mbp with the anti glare screen and they sent me one the glossy one. This is my first mac and I am going to be using this while I am in film school for editing etc.. I do like the way the glossy screen looks but i always heard from people who edit alot that the antiglare is the way to go. I don't really have time to send it back and wait another week or 2 for them to build me another one. Will the glossy still be fine for editing video or is the antiglare that much better?

2. metroid87706 macrumors regular

metroid87706

If you stick with the glossy, make sure you call them and demand a $50 refund for what you paid for the anti-glare.

3. jetjaguar thread starter macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

yea i am definitely going to call apple but i just trying to decide if i should just keep the glossy .. Its alot of money and I don't want to make the wrong decision

4. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

The glare can be an annoyance but it's definitely not that bad like people are saying. You might want to try it out before making any final decisions, who knows, you might even grow to like it. I was one of those who cried when Apple introduced the late-2008 portables with the glossy screen as the only option, hated it before I even played with one. Finally got them at work, played around with it, and was simply amazed. This is coming from someone who told himself he would never purchase a MacBook (Pro) if it only came with a glossy display.

5. atheros07 macrumors member

I also suggest that you might want to try it out for a day or two at first. I just used my glossy 15" UMBP all weekend long on a desk in front of a 2-story glass wall of windows, and never thought once about the glare.

6. amoda macrumors 6502a

You could always ask them to send you the new one first, and you send the one you're currently using when that one arrives.

It's been done before, usually for replacements, and they would just put a hold on your credit card till you send the old one back.

Go to the Apple store, or Bestbuy or Futureshop or whatever. Check out both side to side and you decide.

This is a very preference based issue. Some people like editing in glossy, some don't. It's up to you to make the judgement call based on your preferences. There is no gold standard.

7. jetjaguar thread starter macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

so its ok to open up and use for a few days before calling apple regarding the mess up in the order ?

8. amoda macrumors 6502a

It would probably be easier if it remained closed. I'd call them up and tell them that you expected to be doing work on it by now so you have no option but to open, and use, the laptop.

See what they see from there. They might give you a-okay. Waiving the restocking fee is fairly simple if you have a just cause, which you so clearly do.

But yeah, call them, it'll make them things easier then calling them after.

9. metroid87706 macrumors regular

metroid87706

I do graphic and web design, and while this display is much glossier than my previous MacBook Pros' display, I don't notice any glares at all.

10. jetjaguar thread starter macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

i like how the glossy looks with the black bezel and stuff .. dunno what to do .. gonna call apple now i guess and see what they say

just called the apple store closest to me and they have a 17 mbp with matte on display so I am gonna go check it out

11. ButtUglyJeff macrumors 6502a

ButtUglyJeff

I have a feeling there's no right or wrong when it comes to glossy/matte screens, even in graphics oriented work.

I don't mind glossy, but all that means is the choice was fine for me.

Do you live near an Apple store, where you can see both?

12. jetjaguar thread starter macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

i am heading to my local apple store in a little bit .. when i called they said they had both matte and glossy on display

13. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

So you haven't opened the box? Are you sure you even have a glossy? The matte MBP comes in the same box with a glossy display pictured on the box. The way to tell for sure is by reading the specs on the box.

14. jetjaguar thread starter macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

i opened the box and its glossy ..

just got back from the apple store and i think i want matte .. calling apple now

15. Jurwin macrumors regular

Jurwin

Just go to the apple store and take your time there, play around with both to see which one you like better. To me the glossy just looks better. The matte without glass and silver bezel just looks weird.

16. jetjaguar thread starter macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

either way im out of a computer for awhile because i need to send it back before they will send me the right one
    i played around with both in the store and the matte had no reflections where the glossy was reflecting everything

i dont know what am i going to do .. apple was already giving me a problem saying they cant accept returns on custom builds but they would work with me
    maybe ill just keep it

17. jetjaguar thread starter macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

Alright well just got off the phone with Apple .. and it was a mix up on their part so they are not going to charge me for the matte screen and they are expediting a new one to me with the proper configuration and they sent me return labels for this one .. so i will be using the matte screen.

thanks for listening to me rant lol