just got my macbook-question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by hatcher146, Jun 21, 2007.

1. hatcher146 macrumors 6502

i just got my macbook and the only website i have been to so far is macrumors. but when i opened up safari and entered something in on the bar, websites popped up, i scrolled down, and i have never been to them. ones i have never been to, i have only been to one! what is up with that? confused. is this alright? i literally just opened it up, how are websites on it? thanks if you could help!

2. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

Apple provides you with a some default bookmarks. If you click the little book on the left side of your Bookmark Bar, you'll see what I'm talking about.

Those are the websites that you're seeing in the address bar. Nothing to worry about.

3. hatcher146 thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks! that answered that question! one last question-how do i uninstall uneccasary apps for me, like garageband, etc? also how do i open multiple webpages, are there tabs?

4. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

Personally, if I'm going to uninstall iLife apps like that, I do a clean install of the OS. If you're not up for doing that, you could probably just use something like AppZapper, or AppDelete to do it.

5. skwij macrumors 6502

Yes there are tabs in Safari, but you have to enable that option via Safari>Preferences. It's not default behaviour, for some reason.

6. banjomamo macrumors regular

garageband also has some sounds and loop files that i believe are not in the same folder as the app itself. they are several gigs so u may want to nix them too.

7. hatcher146 thread starter macrumors 6502

where might i find those sounds?

8. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

/User/Library/Application Support/Garage Band

I believe. Try the root-level Application Support folder, too. But there is quite a bit of disk space to free up if you remove Garage Band.