Just Got My Macbook Stolen From My House!!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by alphadog111, Oct 5, 2010.

1. alphadog111 macrumors member

I am pissed I know this is stupid what I did but I met some guy on craigslist and he agreed too come to my house to pick it up which was at night..I have sold a lot of stuff before even at night too a lot of people on craigslist and it was very good. This guy comes to my house and gives me the money which was only $60 and I paid around $400 for the mac and planned to sell it for $800 and then he runs off!! I called the damn cops but WOW at the same time it gets stolen Its not even reachable!! MY damn service says unavailable...What can I do on my end to get the macbook back?? He did call me from a number so is there a way too trace it back with the # he called me from as well as the serial # on the macbook? UGHH SO pissed!!!:mad:

The macbook was a white 2008 model with 2.4ghz, 2gb, 160 hd!!! DAMN IT

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

File a police report and let them handle it.

4. cmvsm macrumors 6502a

cmvsm

Couple things. If the guy only gave you $60, how did he have the chance to run off with the laptop? Was he not inside your house during the transaction?

Second, how did you get the laptop for only $400, and you planned on selling it for double that? Sounds interesting as well.

I've sold a few things on Craigslist, including my Macbook Pro, and never had an issue luckily, but I can certainly see where shady characters would be attracted to it. You just have to be sure that you are packing when they show up! ;)

5. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

Sorry to hear that, but you need to be careful when you're selling things online, particularly to people you don't even know or trust.

6. milbournosphere macrumors 6502a

milbournosphere

Neutral location. ALWAYS use a neutral location when selling via craigslist. And I never cough up the goods until I have all the cash in hand. I'm sorry you got stung, but like above posters said, there are warnings everywhere to prevent this kind of situation.

7. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

8. Applepi macrumors 6502a

Applepi

This. I will NEVER meet anyone on Craigslist unless in a public place buying or selling. I don't believe in stranger danger but common sense rules otherwise.

9. marshallbedsaul macrumors 6502a

marshallbedsaul

your pretty much screwed and not gonna get your computer back.
    I believe on the apple site itself they mention how they do not babysit
    your stolen products. Next time think think think

10. lokster macrumors 6502

lokster

LOL i buy and sell on craigslist alot! its all good if you follow a few rules

1. meet at a public place
    2. either you get the money or give all the money
    3. check the product, sit down or do a quick check of the physical, all buttons working power on and everything (research man)
    4. if its under warranty thats even better! :p

i bought a 2nd hand iphone 3g just because i wanted an iphone. i got the receipt from the owner proving it was just less than a year old, after 2 weeks of use it broke, by randomly turning off, i went to apple showed the receipt and i got a new iphone :p well replacement but still it was the best experience ever.

11. dh2005 macrumors 6502a

Okay, okay... I think the point's been made now, don't you?

Sorry, OP. Never a nice feeling, being reminded that many people in this world are ruthless scumbags. I, too, cannot see you getting the computer back.

I think this is one for the 'Experience' file.

12. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I read the title and saw it as a reminder to call ADT for my install appointment today but then I read the post and really? WTF? Why would you invite this guy to your house?

13. marshallbedsaul macrumors 6502a

marshallbedsaul

I am not sure about this but others have mentioned
    apple will add your sn to a stolen database if you tell them and or have a police report.
    And maybe it can be tracked with the mac addy or some other means I am not sure.
    I believe there should be a stick for this issue.:apple:

14. CW Jones macrumors 6502

Good... meet at your house so if he gets caught and arrested he will know where you live, and know that you called the cops and caused him to go to jail... ya that was smart.

Sorry buddy, you walked right into this one. Should have been lots of big flashing signs.

15. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

They don't have a database or anything for stolen laptops.

16. marshallbedsaul macrumors 6502a

marshallbedsaul

hmm i guess your correct. I am not soo sure I see conflicting post all the time on several different sites including the apple site itself.

17. illutionz macrumors 65816

I ALWAYS meet my counterparty at a CROWDED neutral location, during the DAY.

The last time I met my buyer in a Starbucks, I demanded his money (full amount) is ON the table before I take out the iPhone.

18. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

You might have lost a MacBook but at least you still have a house. Poor thief might not...

Anyway, just inform the police and try to track the serial number and report the laptop stolen. I wouldn't have my hopes high, though...

Also, your home insurance might cover such incidents, but it might not worth making a claim, considering the premium rise.

19. GDOX316 macrumors newbie

i find this funny, i sold my macbook pro yesterday too lol.
    and how are you typing this up?

20. Harmless Abuse macrumors regular

Yes they do.

I purchased a used MacBook once for $800, which I thought was reasonable and when something broke and I took it in, the Genius Bar asked where I got the macbook and I said I purchased it off of Craigslist with a box, charger, adapter, and restore disks, and he said that it was stolen and I had to wait for some police officers to arrive at the store.

I then had to sit and explain to them that the purchase I made wasn't shady in terms of it being really cheap, the seller said they just didn't like the OS and I had all parts, so they pinned it on the man I purchased the computer from and he was then arrested.

21. lilcosco08 macrumors 65816

lilcosco08

You can try the cyber police.
    I hear that they are experts at backtracing

22. marshallbedsaul macrumors 6502a

marshallbedsaul

when was this?
    I was at the apple store today and asked about this because I had a macbook pro stolen. And the mac gens. told me they dont do anything to track. Also best bet is to check pawn shops/clist/ebay by sn. And in the meantime just use common sense.

23. njean777 macrumors 6502

well you biggest mistake was to let him come to your house, it says on Craigslist everywhere to meet in public places. Also you should have counted the money before you let him leave. Unless he actually just threw the money down took the laptop and ran out, its all your fault i hate to say.

24. Striker-UMB macrumors regular

Yeah and I am billionaire:rolleyes:. That was a pretty lame story, sounds like something a grade 5 student would make up for an interesting weekend story for his friends.

25. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, they DON'T! Stop posting misleading information.

How to report lost or stolen Apple product?