JUST GOT MY MACBOOK!!!!!! YEAS!!! battery advice needed however!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ruane89, Jan 21, 2008.

1. ruane89 macrumors member

Just got it, havent booted it up ive just plugg4ed the ac adapter in and its charging, how long should i leave it to charge becuase i remember i messed up my mobile phones battery becuase i waited until the phone charged and not what the guy in the shop said (12 hours!) so it ended up having a crap battery life. Any advice on how to maintain the batterys life??

2. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

On initial startup, wait until the battery is at 100%, otherwise just condition the battery every 2 weeks (drain the battery of all its juice until it has to go to sleep and then recharge it again).

EDIT: Just wait until the light on the MagSafe adapter turns green.

3. ruane89 thread starter macrumors member

should i drain the battery all the time?? because il be using it quite often or will just plugging the mains and recharging it all the time affect it much?? So i just wait until the wee light goes green and im ready to go??

4. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

I would say that you just need to make sure that the battery has been conditioned at least once every two weeks, if you are using it quite often on the go and are draining the battery to under 10% regularly before recharging, then you should be all set. And once the light is green you should be ready.

5. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

For recalibration you wait til the battery is completely charged, then unplug it to drain. Make sure in your power options that you don't have it go to sleep in 2 hours, slide it to never. After the laptop goes to sleep wait 4 hours before plugging it back in. After the 4+ hour mark plug it in and either use it or let it charge all the way.

6. thefunkymunky macrumors 65816

7. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

I was close.. off an hour. :cool:

8. TheStu macrumors 65816

FOr the record, you can use the machine while it is charging, that has no effect on the battery.

9. chrisbeebops macrumors regular

Not completely true... I believe the battery charges a bit slower when the computer is on, because it has to deliver enough power to the battery to power the computer and charge it.

10. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

If it charges slowly it doesn't matter. Just as long as a charge is occurring.

11. farrell001 macrumors newbie

Whats the deal with macbooks shutting down when the battery goes dead
    I thought they had a reserve battery so that it sleeps for n hour so u can get it to a charger?
    My old ibook does

12. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

Nope, as far as I know, the MacBook will put itself to sleep, causing it to write all the RAM to the HDD, so when the battery dies, the information will not be lost, once you boot it back up off of wall power or a recharged battery, you will be right where you left off.

13. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

Generally the laptop should go into sleep mode. I need to calibrate my wifes macbook so I'll keep my eye out.

14. farrell001 macrumors newbie

yeah thats what i thought, but both times i've run the battery down it hasn't saved the RAM to hard drive, so i have lost where i was at that particular time.
    Just anoying :(

15. Beowulf666 macrumors regular

Beowulf666

Congrats on the macbook! i just bought my macbook recently too and I absolutely love it :) . As for the battery, what i did is turn my macbook on when i got it, and the battery ran down really fast, and once it got down to zero and went to reserve power, i plugged in the adapter and let it charge. My battery seems to be working fine as well.

16. TheStu macrumors 65816

OK, it charges more slowly... but it doesn't damage the battery which is what I meant.