Just got my MacBook!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by jamesdean74, Apr 17, 2018.

1. jamesdean74 macrumors newbie

Just received my 2016 refurb MacBook, m5 512gb model from Newegg yesterday, it was listed as an A grade refurb, there is not a scratch on it and only 8 cycle counts on the battery, best thing is that it only cost $869! I’d definitely recommend buying from Newegg! So far I’m loving it, just going through the joys of setting it up and getting ready to put it through the paces as this will be my daily driver.

2. EugW macrumors 68040

EugW

Decent price.

I didn't like the 2015/2016's keyboard, but if you're happy with it then that's fine.

As for Newegg, I've heard they are hit and miss. Usually it's fine, and often it's very good like in your case, but sometimes they sell crap. OTOH, Apple refurbs are always top tier, but at considerably higher cost.

3. PKoz macrumors member

PKoz

Congrats. I have the later 2017 model and love it. It is so slim and light-weight. incredible machine.

4. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

Congrats! I got the 2017 maxed out version. Having always used 15” mbp’s in the past I didn’t think it would be enough computer for me. But I’m glad I decided to test it out, I love it, gets all my work done flawlessly, battery life is great and the portability is just amazing.

5. PKoz macrumors member

PKoz

I had a 2011 MBP quad-core i7 myself. That thing was a boat anchor. Totally happy with this MacBook.

6. istopdrop17 macrumors newbie

istopdrop17

Congrats! Sounds like a pretty okay deal.

7. Dave245 macrumors 603

Sounds like you got a decent price for the MacBook, i'm waiting for this years version before i decide. I have read a lot of good things about the MacBook, i've been watching some Youtube video's even one where someone was editing 4K footage on it :eek: it's quite surprising given that when the MacBook first came out people were saying that it was underpowered.

I can also get a MacBook for a reduced price (through a work discount) but not as cheap as the one you have managed to pick up, the most i can get is a maxed out i7, 512GB with 16GB Ram for £1,752 BUT as i mentioned i'm going to wait until WWDC and see if Apple update them :)

8. EugW macrumors 68040

EugW

The 2015 MacBook was underpowered. The 2017 is significantly faster.

9. Dave245 macrumors 603

Yea that's the impression i'm getting from doing some research online, this years version will probably be even faster when the update happens (possibly at WWDC?)

10. EugW macrumors 68040

EugW

Not sure. In fact, we're not sure even IF the update will happen.

11. Dave245 macrumors 603

If they are going to update the MacBook Pro I would of thought the MacBook would of got an update as well. What about the introduction of this rumoured 13” version of the MacBook?

12. mj_ macrumors regular

mj_

It's highly unlikely that Apple is going to update the MacBook this year or introduce a new Intel-based 13" MacBook for a fairly simple reason: Intel has not yet updated it's Y-series line-up and hasn't announced anything yet either. This means that the 2017 12" MacBook already runs Intel's latest and greatest ultra low power CPUs and there isn't anything faster or better available right now.

Of course that doesn't mean that Apple isn't going to introduce an ARM-powered 13" MacBook or put an ARM processor inside the 12" MacBook. If they do I would personally steer clear of those and let others do the beta testing.

13. Dave245 macrumors 603

In which case it’s wait and see what’s announced for the MacBook Pro’s, if they put a quad core in the 13” with Touch Bar I would be very tempted, I think a 6 Core 15” may be wasted on me (video editing, writing and blogging are mainly what I use my machines for).

It would be interesting to see what this 13” MacBook rumour turns out to be, the last I read was that it was going to have a Retina display so probably not an Air.

14. mj_ macrumors regular

mj_

With Apple it's ALWAYS wait and see. Because there are ALWAYS rumors. The bottom line is to get it when you need it, not when you want it. Always has been, always will be.

If you can wait for WWDC in June then by all means go ahead and wait. If, however, you need the device right now then get it now and don't waste your time waiting for something that may not even happen.

15. Dave245 macrumors 603

I can certainly wait until WWDC my 2011 MacBook Pro is still working at the moment (fans keep kicking in and it gets hot at the simplest of things).