Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SeanEE89

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 15, 2008
VA, United States
I just got my MacBook on the 13th and I love it. I didnt think I would adjust to it as quickly as I have but I already have a better feel for Mac OS X then I do for Windows. I did only get the 160GB Hard Drive with it and I was wondering if I would truly see any performance boost if I bought a Hitachi 200GB 7200RPM Drive?

SeanEE89

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 15, 2008
VA, United States
Would the speed increase be all that noticeable or should I just put my money into getting a larger Hard Drive because I could get a 250GB 5400RPM Hard Drive and have a higher capacity and save some money.

Italchef

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2003
Maple, Ontario
If it were up to me, and it actually was a few weeks ago, I'd go for the larger drive and not worry about the increased speed with the drive. Seems to be plenty fast for me. The other thing that I would do is max out the RAM at 4GB but don't do that through Apple. There are many threads on here regarding online purchases of RAM.

Mick

Thetics

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2008
do you even have 160gigs worth of crap to put on your HD yet? i would keep it for now, upgrade the ram instead (not through apple), then once you reach say... 80% capacity, pop the HD out, put it into an external, then buy a bigger drive (by then, we may have 500gig+ available for it =)

SeanEE89

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 15, 2008
VA, United States
I have already filled 60GB of the Hard Disk space. And I have not even moved over all of my photos and music yet. I think Ill just get a 320GB Drive that should be more then enough for me.

FloridaBSD

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2008
Broward County, FL
Ironically the sam thing happened with me last June when my father bought me My white MacBook for a Graduation gift. This seems ironic to me because i am studding to become a Computer industry of America (ComPTia For Short) A + Technician ComPTia A+ Tech.

DaBrain

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2007
ERIE, PA
I just got my MacBook on the 13th and I love it. I didnt think I would adjust to it as quickly as I have but I already have a better feel for Mac OS X then I do for Windows. I did only get the 160GB Hard Drive with it and I was wondering if I would truly see any performance boost if I bought a Hitachi 200GB 7200RPM Drive?

Just wanted to say CONGRATS on getting your new MacBook! I found when I switched to OSX a few years ago after many years of using windoz that I was amazed how easy it was to learn how to get around in OSX. Unless a major catastrophe occurs I plan on never switching from OSX!

It is a truly great OS! Best wishes for your new Mac! ;)

pagansoul

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2006
Earth
Just got my Macbook over the weekend. I got it off ebay for $1300. It's a black 2.2 with 4gb ram and 250GB HD. I could have gotten a cheaper machine but they all had only 2gb ram/160 HD and I know I would have to upgrade everything right away so I went for the fully loaded. It is beautiful, not a scratch. Smooth running and not too hot on my lap. I am now waiting for my case and keyboard cover. I'm loading some music and programs. I plan to bring it to work with me. I'm not allowed to have anything on my work machine other than work programs, not even music. I need my tunes. Yes I have an ipod but it lives in my car and my iphone doesn't hold enough. I can't wait to watch movies/TV durning lunch.:D

I need a lot of HD space because I ripped over 300 movies/TV shows (250gb worth) from my DVD collection. I keep some on a WD250 but want to also have my main-stays right on the machine. I never get tired of LOTR and Matrix.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.