Just got my machine back from the menders...new problems!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by otispunkmeyer, Aug 22, 2008.

1. otispunkmeyer macrumors 6502

after 7 weeks its back.

it needed a new screen and keyboard (screen was just blank grey all the time and KB wouldnt fully light up)

so i have it back and it looks like, as well as replacing the LCD, i have a completely new case! or at least new top n bottom, mine had a few blemishes but now there are none! so thats a nice suprise

screen is now a samsung model and is even better than the LG one i had before (and i have to say that was also a good example too), KB is definately new, i can feel it, but they cant of replaced the actual broken bit, the backlighting because thats still horrifically uneven.

however.... fans

they will not stop running at 6000rpm, even on battery they hover around 2000rpm for a few seconds before spinning up to the max. SMC does naff all, temperatures are around 37 deg (yes 37) and theres <5% CPU usage. what am i gonna do?

also, my battery, its only got 19 cycles but the health is 80% already.... ive already had a battery replacement... looks like im due another. ill run it flat later on an leave it for a few hours in sleep and then charge it up again to calibrate it. my guess is the techs have had it plugged and unplugged from the mains like a yo yo

for a £1600+ laptop this isnt the kind of stuff i should be dealing with constantly.

2. otispunkmeyer thread starter macrumors 6502

resetting PRAM and SMC/NVRAM did nothing.

i cant live with this, i just cant. why wont the fans slow the **** down!

3. otispunkmeyer thread starter macrumors 6502

c'mon theres nearly 300 people viewing this part of the forum... no one can help?:confused:

4. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

Sorry I can't be or any help. I suggest you call Applecare and explain what is going on.

5. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

First of all relax. Power down the machine and start her up five minutes later.

6. otispunkmeyer thread starter macrumors 6502

no difference, ive ran the machine completely flat, and its charging now whilst turned off. when i plugged it it immediately woke from sleep and almost straight away the fans began to creep from 2000 to 6000.

i'll wait till its full charged 2moro and shut it down properly and remove the batt and just let it sit for 5mins, then hook it all back up.

if the same happens, im going straight back to the repair shop.

i must say tho, i think they transplanted the innards to a new chassis because every part is new, especially the bottom case which used to have scratches and a gouge mark on it, its now blemish free, and looking at the serial number stickers on the inside of the battery bay its clear to see they've been peeled off and re stuck too.

they must of done a fine job with the thermal paste because temps are sensationally low. im hoping they forgot to hook something up right.

7. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Look on the bright side, you wont have to worry about overheating with a proper paste job and 6,000 rpm fans. :)