Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
MacWhispers said:
5. And yes, I have a well-earned reputation for "jumping in" on public forums where lies are being posted about our company or our products. Of course, the historical result of that has been that a wave of people seem to be predisposed to believe and repeat the juicy lies, and ignore the factual replies. Whatever... the web loves a good villain, even if he is completely fabricated to be such.

Good of you to join in. Its nice to know that someone at Macmice is paying attention to people's concerns and sorting out the facts from the crap. ;)

Now if you'll only get some of these issues sorted, that would be great. I'd buy this product in a heartbeat if there didn't seem to be so many small issues. I'm not going to play games on a BT mouse...... I just want something that works every day with no minor, pestering issues.

MacWhispers

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2003
Abstract said:
Good of you to join in. Its nice to know that someone at Macmice is paying attention to people's concerns and sorting out the facts from the crap. ;)

Now if you'll only get some of these issues sorted, that would be great. I'd buy this product in a heartbeat if there didn't seem to be so many small issues. I'm not going to play games on a BT mouse...... I just want something that works every day with no minor, pestering issues.

Agreed, sir. And, we want exactly the same thing.

Anticipat3

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2003
Madison, Wisconsin
Just posting on the forum without answering people's concerns isn't going to earn you any more buyers.

To Apple users, cheap build quality is a huge turnoff. Jumpiness in the cursor is a huge turnoff. Things rattling is a huge turnoff.

Frankly, these are not things that can be rebutted in a forum post, but the majority of people reading this thread, myself included, have been itching for a BT MacMouse for a long time -- but will not buy something cheaply made and finicky that sells for the same price as quality mice.

I'll continue to peter back and forth between my Apple BT mouse and my MX500, and my business is still up for grabs. I own a MX1000 that I use with my desktop, and I LOVE it. If I could get one that was bluetooth, I'd pick it up in a heartbeat, but I won't use an MX900 that has no off switch.

I'm very disappointed that the BT MacMouse is shoddy. I would have loved to have one if it was built well and reliable.

badtz

macrumors member
May 2, 2002
Los Angeles, CA.
unfortunately, I"m in the same predicament as anticipat3!

:(

I would love to own one, but I'm afraid to put down the money and encounter the [above] problems :(

zagato27

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2003
The Hill
MX1000

Anticipat3 said:

I'll continue to peter back and forth between my Apple BT mouse and my MX500, and my business is still up for grabs. I own a MX1000 that I use with my desktop, and I LOVE it. If I could get one that was bluetooth, I'd pick it up in a heartbeat, but I won't use an MX900 that has no off switch.

I'm very disappointed that the BT MacMouse is shoddy. I would have loved to have one if it was built well and reliable.

I've been waivering on the MX1000 for my G5. Wishing that Logitech would come out with a BT version. I soooooo want to cut the cord. COME ON LOGITECH, SEE THE LIGHT, MAKE US :)

MacNeXT

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2004
I was looking for a BT mouse for my new iBook. The Apple one is great but has only one button, I dislike the MX900 looks and the Microsoft BT Explorer is kind of ok, but I haven't had the urge to spend the money for it.

However, I also read about the MacMice, and I wanted to check it out for myself. I read similar experiences like in this thread, some were very positive, were very negative. I tried to look at the thing as unprejudiced as possible, but I just couldn't seem to be comfortable with the piece of plastic I held in my hand in an Apple store. Its look, feel, weight... it makes a cheap impression on me. And for that money!

I told the Apple store guy, who gave me the mouse to try out, what I tought about it and he agreed immediately.

I'm sorry Mac Whispers, but for many of us, your product just isn't attractive. PC users might accept something like this, but Apple users expect something better.

sgtlmj

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2003
r6girl said:
so, now that i've a bit more time with the macmice mouse, i have a few more comments...

- i find that it takes longer to "wake up" than the apple BT mouse. it probably adds up to a total of 10 more seconds, but it can be a bit maddening!

marianne

I've found that it wakes up much quicker if you spin the wheel than if you just click on a button.

manosira

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2004
SOMA - S.F. - Cali
Although I also have the BT Aluminum Mice I prefer my old Belkin BT mouse better. It was faster, better battery life, and didn't skip. But having said that I use teh Mac Mice one purly because of style not function.

zagato27

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2003
The Hill
MX 1000

Xmas present: Best Buy gift certificate :) . Just picked up a Logitech MX1000 mouse. YIPPPPEEEEE!. I have been hunting for a mouse for my G5 w/bluetooth but just couldn't find a BT mouse to my liking. RadTech, too small. Logitech 900 not OSX supported....according to Logitech. I know, some of you have it and it is doing well but.... MX 1000, OSX compliant and cordless (relatively at least). Downloaded the latest LCC ver 1.4.1 and installed. Plugged everything in and its working. WOW, a scroll wheel that works! A left and right button that work! It's fast too. Feels pretty good grip wise. Best of all, my wife seems to like it (need I say "priceless" :D ) I'm sure that I'll learn a bit more as I go along but right now am in heaven. The hockey puck is going into storage. Cheers

johnbro23

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2004
Pittsburgh, PA
I just got a white The Mouse BT to match my eMac without knowing about this thread, or any of the complaints you've been mentioning. I just found this thread today. But anyways. I've been using it for 2 days now, and it's been growing on me. The first time I used it, I thought exactly what some of you are saying. I'll go over some of my views of the mouse:

1. The mouse feels really cheap compared to the Apple mouse when I tried it out for the first time. After 2 days, however, I can hardly feel any difference between any other mouse.

2. The lifting of the clear part is unnoticable. I did notice it when I first used it, but its a non-issue. It moves about a millimeter, no biggie.

3. It does skip... occasionally. Enough to notice it, but not enough to make you mad. I'd say for every 5 hours of use, it will skip once. At least thats what I've noticed so far.

4. It does take a long time to wake up. Definitely not 10 seconds, more like 3. Thats still a long time, compared to the Apple mouse, which was less than a second.

5. It looks good. It matches my eMac perfectly.

The second button, scroll wheel, and the fact that it matches other Apple products make it worth buying.

johnbro23

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2004
Pittsburgh, PA
I'm taking mine back

johnbro23 said:
The second button, scroll wheel, and the fact that it matches other Apple products make it worth buying.

I take that back. I posted that 2 days after I opened my The MouseBT. I had no idea how annoying the skipping really was. The mouse randomly loses connection, feels cheap, and most annoying of all, the cursor skips like all the time!

I emailed customer service at MacMice and they are giving me a full refund. I'm still $15 in the hole because of shipping. The thing is useless, so I have no chioce.

Why can't apple make a pro mouse with 2 buttons and a scroll wheel for god sakes?? :mad:

1macker1

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2003
A Higher Level
I bought a MacMice BT mouse about 2 months ago. It feels fine to me, and I don't have any skipping problems. It takes about 3 secs to wake up.

The only complaints that i have is that the scroll wheel doesn't 'click' when scrolling. I'm just just to my scroll whell 'clicking'. Also, it's a battery hog. I bought a Apple wireless keyboard the same day I bought the mouse. I've changed the batteries out of the Mouse twice, and have yet to have to replace the batteries in the keyboard.

All in all, i like the mouse, and it looks good.

Piarco

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
Londinium
After following this thread for quite a while, I still ended up getting a macmouse BT (al) from a forum member (cheers r6girl!) at an excellent price when held up against the prices in England.
As my expectations were rather low after reading the last 4 pages, I think I've been pleasently suprised! Connection not a problem, no lag I can see unless you make large quick movements, which I won't be on a 12" PB (but I can see why it would be no good for gaming), and wake up from sleep takes about 1-2sec.
It did skip after about 15min, but on putting in some new batteries, problem solved. Connection does seem to randomly disappear, but it always is reconnected instantly, so its only the "connection lost" icon that alerts me to it - otherwise I just wouldn't notice! I'm happy with the build quality (again probably due to low expectations) and the weight.
I am however, having to get use to having my hand in a different position to normal to avoid clicking both buttons, but I will get use to it.
On a final note, it bizarrely seems to be quicker than my Logitech Aluminium Laptop Mouse (USB).... really don't understand that....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.