Just got my MBP!!! but have a ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nasr91, Feb 24, 2010.

1. nasr91 macrumors newbie

Hi All,
    I just got my MBP I am so excited! But is there anything I need to do first or can I plug in and go?
    Thank you

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Plug it in and go. Enjoy!

Welcome to Mac ownership and welcome to MacRumors:Forums! You'll find a lot of information both here and on the web. Here are a few resources that may be helpful:

Apple - Find Out How online tutorials on many topics
    Mac 101 a tour of the Mac OS X
    Switch 101 a tutorial on the process of migrating to a Mac
    Apple Support search Apple Support and the Knowledge Base
    MRoogle for searching the forums with Google (always a good idea before posting new questions)
    How to set up a quick right-click search of the MR forums.
    MacRumors FAQ
    MacRumors Rules
    MacRumors Guides Very helpful stuff!
    A list of the MR Forums (so you'll know which forum is best to post a new question)
    Maximizing your MacRumors troubleshooting experience. (if you really need help, this is valuable to know!)
    Apple Find Out How
    Apple Keyboard Shortcuts
    You can find lists of essential applications in this thread, as well as these sites: here and here and here.....and here.

If you search the forums and don't find what you're looking for, just ask! There's lots of friendly help here! Enjoy your new Mac!

3. ss957916 macrumors 6502a

DO NOT plug it in and go. Keep it in the box so that when the brand new MBP's are announed in the next couple of weeks you can just get your money back and buy a computer that isn't several months out-of-date.

GGJ Studios: How did you compile that reply within a minute?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Not everyone needs the absolute latest release of everything. It's quite likely the OP's new MBP will do everything they need it to do, so there's no need to wait for a new release.

5. ss957916 macrumors 6502a

But surely everyone wants the best value for their money.

Aaaaanyway - how did you compile that reply so quickly?

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's why the OP went with a refurb, to save money.
    I type fast. :D

7. ss957916 macrumors 6502a

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Just a guess, based on his posts in other threads.

9. ss957916 macrumors 6502a

OP: I'm not so sad that I trawl MR hour after hour and build-up a personal profile of each user.

But I would honestly advise you to reconsider your purchase considering how close we are to the release of a new range of MBP's (even if it is a refurb).

But if you're happy, I agree, plug-in and go. My first Mac I screwed-up completely and had to re-install the OS after about 48hrs, but it was fun playing and discovering.

10. nasr91 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi
    I thought about waiting for the updates but the truth is I dont do anything big with it. I will be takiing online classes but just writing papers. And other then that all I really do is surf and email watch youtube. I have never had a new computer always hand me downs so I did get a new one (refub store didnt have any of the 1199 MBPs only the loaded ones) lol.

Thanks guys...........I have learned so much on this site!!

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you don't have hours to devote to that, all it takes is a quick click on their profile, then "Find all posts by". Voila! Less than 20 seconds!

OP: Enjoy your new MBP! Congrats!

12. justaregularjoe macrumors 6502

:(

This was kind of a dick thing to say. Maybe he has been advising him for a while.

I hope you were joking, and I am just on the outside of this.

13. OzyOly macrumors 6502a

True, and the release could be a while off yet, no one knows. :)

14. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

GGJstudios,

What a great list of links! :eek: Thats awesome! I'm going to pass those along to my family and friends that I've converted to Macs <rubs hands together muttering "Good!, Good!"/>

Cheers!
    P

15. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

16. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

Plug and play is basically one of the great advantages of buying a Mac.
    Mac: Name, password, ID picture.

PC: Would you like to connect to the internet? No s**t.
    Would you like to buy antivirus software? It will protect your computer against viruses. Wow, I didn't know. *clicks on options*
    OMG ANTIVIRUS SOFTWARE IS EXPENSIVE AND NEEDS RENEWAL WTF

17. SolRayz macrumors 6502a

SolRayz

Funny thing is that you might not even need to plug it in...my new mbp was well charged when I recieved it.

18. jonnysods macrumors 603

jonnysods

Just enjoy it, it is such a great experience. I love the smell of a new mac.

Looking forward to the new MBP smell again once they announce the refresh! I seem to be living Tuesday to Tuesday lately!

19. jttran241 macrumors member

more like disappointment to disappointment.. but still hoping..

20. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Enjoy the machine, so plug it in and go.

I have an 08 MBP and its an awesome machine. Pay no attention to the people who tell you to keep it packed up and wait. Using their logic, they would have people not buying/using their laptops for 3 months (December -> February).

From your post, you made an informed decision and enjoy.

21. plaxico44 macrumors regular

plaxico44

I live Tuesday to Tuesday as well haha. Lately, ive died a bit every tuesday night :(

22. gwsat macrumors 68000

gwsat

Congratulations! You are going to love it. The more you use your Macbook Pro the more you will like it.

The proposition that you should have waited for the upcoming latest and greatest makes my eyes glaze over. The fact is that computers change all the time, usually for the better. Thus, the argument that you should have waited, carried to its logical extreme, means that you would never buy a new computer because something even newer, and probably better, is always coming down the road. If you need it and can afford it, buy it and don't look back.

23. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

Thats what she said

24. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

+1

I've seen enough posts these past few months advising people to hold off because an update is imminent and while at some point they'll be right, I've seen this starting around late november/december (probably earlier I just don't remember). Given that some people have gone without a laptop now for 1/4 of a year (Dec through Feb) What happens if apple holds off for another month or two months. Stranger things occur.

I go back to the logic many people use here. If you need one now, buy one now. If you can wait, then wait.

Two other points regarding the extended wait.
    First when apple finally does update the line, there will be a fair number of people crumbling/complaining because their expectations are so far out of line at this point. They'll be, we waited for this??? :mad:

The second point that the current crop of laptops are more then enough power for the majority of users. Getting a faster one will not "future proof" you any further. My 08 MBP is more then enough for me, I use some demanding apps Simultaneously (vmware/aperture/photoshop/rapid weaver) and my 08 MBP handles them quite well. Waiting for a faster machine won't help many people that much when they're just surfing and doing office apps.