Just got my MBP - Thank you Apple!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Insulin Junkie, Jun 10, 2008.

1. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

Well, if you're sick of hearing enthusiastic first time buyers swoon, click away now =) Thought I'd share this because it's what I read on Macrumors that made me make the switch from a laptop I wasn't happy with to my new MBP.

It's a useless post, but I just thought I'd let you guys know I finally decided to make the trip into the city and get myself that MBP I've been wanting. I had it upgraded to 4GB ram in the store. I had a couple of concerns about me finding adequate replacement for the two windows applications I use most - Slsk and Microsoft Works. My concern lasted as long as it took me to unbox it - I found NeoOffice, (Christ, can't believe it's everything MS would charge you a fortune to buy! and SolarSeek and both work perfectly, NeoOffice opens my docx files and the layout is familiar. And behold - NO activation, NO security popups, just a gorgeous OS and a beautiful big screen =)))

After having a cheap HP notebook for a while now I can't believe just how silent the MBP is!! I've never had such a silent computer in my life! Setup was easy, no crappy bloatware, no worries about installing anti-virus software and keeping it up to date.... I can't believe it! How I should have bought myself a Mac years ago - after all the first computers I ever used were Macs and I always liked em. Man... I'm really happy! I thought getting the hang of a completely new os would be a painful experience, but everything's easy to use, look gorgeous and figuring out the OS is a no-brainer.

I've appreciated my iPods and my iPhone, but today I became a complete "mac convert" - Only two or three hours after first having booted my new Mac I know I'm not going back to Windows. At least not while I'm in my right mind. So yeah, thank you Apple, for this awesome piece of gear!!:) I can't wait to start my second year of university now, and bring it along to classes!

Anyhow. Me = extremely happy, I can only recommend it to everyone!

2. H$R macrumors 6502

H$R

gratulations. I am happy that you are happy. It's kinda the same that my sister and me experienced, when the two of us bought a MacBook each. The Mac experience is blowing us away. The rest of the family and all my friends can stay within the Windows world if they want, I am not there to change their minds. But some friends are already considering a change when university begins for most of us.

This MacBook is changing my life, the same way as my first iPod did years 5 years ago. And maybe I am getting an iPhone somewhen, but that can wait.

Not everything is perfect on Leopard, but what is perfect anyway? I am very happy with it overall!

And Neo Office is great, good that you've found it and also liked it (who couldn't like it by the way, it's free and delievers what you need.)

3. johngardiner macrumors regular

congrats! Just got one recently myself.. I wrote a review.. probably on page 2 or 3 now if you want to check it out. Also like you my iphones and ipods always impressed me but it was the MBP that did it!

4. Insulin Junkie thread starter macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

@ H$R : Haha awesome you both got one together, and I agree, I wouldn't want to change anyone's mind - if they're happy with Windows then that's great - I was too (more or less) before Vista came along, also people who've never tried a new mac OS just don't know what they're missing, so they wouldn't be too sad about it :) How has having the Macbook changed your life? That's interesting, care to elaborate on that?

@ johngardiner: thanks, I'll look out for your review. I'll probably find it in your recent posts =) and I agree - I've been impressed by two gadgets this year - the iPhone, and now this notebook. I'm defo keeping my eyes wide open for new apple merch, so far I haven't purchased a single product off them that disappointed me - that's something I can say for no other company thusfar!

5. eGraeme macrumors member

so, in an effort to not make my OWN post and make old timers freak out at yet ANOTHER "OMG I GOT A MAC" post
    ill jump on yer bandwagon of happiness

just got my 15" mid level macbook pro last night
    WEEEEEE!
    i have an old dalmatian imac(the hd is fried awhile back tho)
    so its not my FIRST
    but its very exciting to be back and have a working mac :D

6. H$R macrumors 6502

H$R

Ok, maybe changing life was the wrong term. but it made everything a bit nicer and faster. I mean, I was pretty confident with XP for many years, but more and more it got a struggle. Then once the time came, when someone showed me an eMac. I was all over it.
    I knew that my next computer had to be a Mac, especially that I've already had two iPods which I was really happy with.

Actually, my sister got hers some months earlier than me. I told her, if she wants a notebook for college, I would really go for a MacBook. So she bought one last November. I've almost bought one at the same time, but in January I went to Australia for two months. I figured, that I wouldn't really need a notebook until then and during that time so I just sticked to my old XP machine and waited. Oh yes, my brother got a Vista gaming machine (besides for the gaminin power, I hate it.) I can't stand Vista at all. It made everything so hard and lame. It freeked the hell out of me, just waiting to start up and doing stuff on it.
    So when I got back from Australia, there was the new late February updated and I just ordered me the new MB on the day I arrived back home. And I am so happy since. It boots so fast, battery life is pretty well, and it's just so sexy hot. A computer which I like to take to the park or the cafe.
    I love the 13 inch size too. The integrated graphics are ok, it serves me just right, because I am not a big gamer (not anymore, and I could use my brothers machine if I wanted).

I remember buying a 3rd generation iPod. 40 gig. I didn't even had 15 gigs of music at that time, but I was feeling that it would be useful somewhen to have so much space. And I filled it up later. It's so nice to have so much music for on the go. Take it to a party, hook it up and everybody is happy.

My friends were like "are you rich or something?" Yeah it costed much back then, but the design and functionality just got me the very first moment I was playing around with an friend's iPod. I HAD to buy one. (sidenote: I sometimes get the same feeling when I see a good looking shirt with a really nice design or last time it was a pair of nice shoes :D) At that moment (early year 2003) I didn't even know what an iPod was. Last month I was even replacing the battery in it and still using my it now. I would have bought an newer iPod, but coudn't really decide which one and my old one does the job still pretty good.

I don't think I will ever switch back!

Before, the computer was kind of the tool to get digital things done (I was using computer and games since kindergarden age) and now the Mac, does most of it faster and looks just nicer. More efficient and better looking, what could you want more? It seems to make my life complete and it feels more like a lifestyle then a tool. Strange, isn't it?

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Congratulations on the purchase.

I remember my first purchase with the iPod and all; I hated Apple anyways and all they "clique"-like community; well I decided that it was time to try it out for myself so I could speak from experience; well it turns out I love the darn thing... :rolleyes:

I still don't like the bloody iPhone though.

8. Insulin Junkie thread starter macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

@H$R: Heh yeah, I'm the same way so often. I remember when the iphone came out I was like "nah, I'm cool with my current phone" (until I decided to get it, at which point I was all like 0__0 wow) xD Same with the macbook, and I don't regret any single apple buy so far =) So yeah, I totally understand the notion of just having to have it :) thanks for sharing ^^

@alphaod: Yeah, that's the same thought that made me obstain from getting an iPod before last year. xD

The only thing I have yet to get used to with my macbook is that the screen flickers sometimes when scrolling. I suppose the LED display and the fact that refresh rates sorta make it a bit weird are to blame. I read somewhere it helps to put the screen on static instead of auto refresh. I'm a complete newb, any ideas how this can be done? =P

9. Insulin Junkie thread starter macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

Awesomeness! Congrats to you :)
    Although I know you only settled for it because all the Vista laptops were out of stock ;)

10. PkennethV macrumors 6502a

Hmm really? I've never heard of this before (and I don't experience it myself though my MBP is not LED backlit). LCD screens don't have a "refresh rate" exactly...which is the reason why they don't (supposedly) flicker like CRT screens. But apparently you're experiencing otherwise...

11. sundaydrive macrumors newbie

I too have just purchase an MBP. I dont feel its necessary to make a new thread for this question, it has probably been asked and answered before.

but...

When running the laptop at your desk as your main computer, will keeping the charge connected to the computer harm the battery life in the long run? Or should i disconnect the charger when the light turns green and let the battery run down before i connect it again?

12. Chitoneus macrumors member

After months of waiting, I just got my new MBP. I was going to wait around for Montevina, but I thought this was getting ridiculous. Now I have a great new computer, and I'm loving the iPod touch I got with my student rebate.

Yay toys! :D

13. majordude macrumors 68020

majordude

What did you end up with (what version)? I'm one of the few with a 17" MBP and can't believe more don't opt for the larger model. ;)

14. docal97 macrumors 6502a

docal97

you're going to love your mbp more and more as you get acquainted with it. I agree that once you become familiar with the 'Mac' experience, you will never be tempted again by the dark side......

Congrats and enjoy!

15. kabunaru Guest

16. duncanm macrumors member

are you sure it's not the ambient light meter adjusting the screen brightness? You can tell it not to do that in system preferences -> display

17. Insulin Junkie thread starter macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

Hmm no wait let me re-word that. When scrolling with the bar in safari, the page distorts a bit (alwayss at the same spot - a line of distortion occurs horizontally about two thirds down the screen), the problem goes away when I use Firefox. I suppose I'll just need to wait for the newer version of Safari, or something, since I discovered it's not a hardware issue. And yeah I meant LCD:)
    I found tons on it by googling "macbook pro scrolling problem / distortion" and similar phrases.

@duncmn: Nope, sorry, I hope I explained what I've experiencing better above ^^

@majordude: Haha yeah, the 17" is gorgeous! I played with it instore and got this *woah desktop replacement* feeling. The screen's phenomenal, if I didn't plan to drag my laptop around with me often next year I'd have gone for the bigger version, as it is I chose the 15". The screen is big enough for me! But congrats on your bigger version anyway, envious friends are pre-programmed!:)

18. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

No refresh rate? What the images just magically change? :rolleyes: