Just Got My MBP!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ghsNick, Jun 19, 2011.

1. ghsNick macrumors 68020

ghsNick

It was the low end 15' and it's awesome.
    My first Apple Laptop ever!

I do have a couple questions though...

1) Does Safari have a legitimate Ad Block? I looked in the ad-ons and the reviews weren't good...any good ones guys?

2) I want to save all my logins and passwords...I'm using 1Password...but I also see something called Keychain...what is that?

3) Is there a way to sync my Google Calendar to iCal? They linked my Gmail to Mail...but I'd like to sync the Calendar too.

Anything else I could know would be great!:D

2. Blondie :) macrumors 6502a

Blondie :)

I think that the ad-blocker ad-on is quite good in my opinion. I'll admit, some of the other ones are kinda terrible...but for the most part, safari is a really good browser

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Congrats!
    Safari AdBlock (not the extension, but the older version 0.4.0)
    ClickToFlash plugin or ClickToFlash extension
    Mac 101: Keychain
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keychain_(Mac_OS)
    Helpful Information for Any Mac User

4. Virgo macrumors 6502

Virgo

http://safariadblock.com/ works wonders. Even lets you right click and block ads in case it misses (which is rare).

Not sure about the keychain thing though.

Edit: I use the AdBlock extension, and it works for me. What's the difference?

5. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

never heard of that adblock before, good post. i installed the extension. is the non-extension better, or?

6. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

congrats :)

1. use the Safari Adblock extension http://safariadblock.com its great! the extension is better as its an official add-on and not a work-around/'hack'

2. Keychain automatically inputs your username and password when your keychain is unlocked (after you've logged in). 1Password is better IMO as it only inputs when you want to and can set the keychain to lock after some time.

3. just add your Google account to iCals Accout preferences.

easy!

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Many have reported problems with the AdBlock extension running amok, placing unusually high demands on the CPU. Many have uninstalled it because of these issues.

8. dagamer34 macrumors 65816

dagamer34

Since 99% of obtrusive ads are Flash, I just install the ClickToFlash extension (get the Safari extension, not the plugin, as it's been updated more recently and works better). Also improves battery life by not wasting CPU cycles.

9. ghsNick, Jun 19, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2011

ghsNick thread starter macrumors 68020

ghsNick

Sweet, thanks a lot.

This damn KeyChain keeps requesting a password whenever I sign in anywhere.
    Is there any way to disable it from asking to store the passwords?

For Example
    [​IMG]

10. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

maybe you changed your keychain password and its different to your login password or vice versa. have a look at this http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1631 or search the forums

to stop Safari from saving passwords in the keychain disable User names and passwords under Autofill in the preferences.

11. ghsNick thread starter macrumors 68020

ghsNick

Yeah Idk, my system/Keychain passwords are the same.
    I think I clicked something earlier always asking to do a password but I can't find it again to undo it.

I have 1Password installed...would it be okay to delete Keychain off my system so I don't have to deal with it anymore? (It's doing it for every application)

12. ghsNick thread starter macrumors 68020

ghsNick

Ok I'm having problems. Please help.

I've been messing with this thing all day and I'm still having problems.

I don't know what I did...but this Key Chain thing is really getting on my nerves. I made my Security or something always ask me for access when I use stuff, and KeyChain is always popping up. Is there any way to disable this? I have 1Password.

Ok I'm having a hard time figuring out a few things.

1) Key Chain keeps requesting my password whenever I open programs, how do I disable this?

[​IMG]

2) See the little "white" dots under Finder, Safari, and Keychain in the picture above...what do those mean? Even after I "X" out of Safari (or Finder) the dots are still there, there are no other windows open...I have to right click and hit Quit for it to go away.

4) To delete or uninstall something I just drag it into the trash can and hit empty trash-can, right?

Please don't refer me to other threads if you can just answer them, I was so good on PC and now I suck on Mac :(

13. Mrguidogenio macrumors regular

Mrguidogenio

2) They indicate that the app is running. Also, note that some programs won't quit when you hit the red button. If you are downloading something in Safari or Google Cjhrome this is very useful, as you don't need to keep a window open like in Windows to let the program be alive.
    If you really want to quit the program you can also use "CMD-q" to accomplish that or configure a trackpad gesture using BetterTouchTool (I really recommend getting this program).

3) Yes, but I recommend using something like AppZapper for complete deleting the program preferences files and other related thing to the program.

14. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

App removal software doesn't do a thorough job. Read this.