Just got my new 30" Display! WOW

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by clank72, Sep 11, 2009.

1. clank72 macrumors regular

This thing is stunning. I can't believe I waited so long to get one, I've been using the 23" displays for years!

I was very hesitant at first but this baby is really rockin'. I now view full HD videos and still have room left.

Only thing is, my eyes are a little shocked by it. Like my corneas hurt a little bit. Is this normal?

Anyway, this thing is flawless. I can't go back now!

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Does it make everything really small? It probably put a nice dent in your wallet! Congrats!

3. clank72 thread starter macrumors regular

Everything is the same size of course, but just more space.

Ya it was weird because it's the same price for a MacBook Pro, but you only get just a monitor :)

At first I thought it was ridiculous to have a 30 inch, then I talk to people that have THREE of them and how addicting they were. I can see why now. I also needed DVI capabilities and the new LCD is only mini.

If anyone is hesitant, go get one! The rumors about uneven backlighting is bunk. They were probably sitting to close. The shading doesn't change on graphics at all when you move them up and down or side to side, at least nothing to be concerned about. I watched a 1080p Quicktime movie at full screen and it blows you back in your seat.

I've seen other 30" brands and I don't think they come close. Everything has the lame glossy screen now that shows reflections. I do have a feeling Apple will be discontinuing this model soon so I wanted to jump on it.

I almost bought TWO tonight but my girlfriend thought I was insane.

100% Happy camper. Glad I went with the trusty Apple brand. I upgraded to a 3 years warranty for only $99.

4. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I'd love to get one but I got a second hand 20" earlier this year that serves me well. I'm going to save my dough and do the triple threat after Apple introduces the new 30" display meaning:

Get the latest macbook pro available, the newest 30" cinema thats available, Applecare for the MBP (which will cover the display) and sweeten the deal by the 20% off hardware purchase coupon for student ADC memberships .

5. Transporteur macrumors 68030

I've never heard that someones corneas hurts, but I know what you mean.

When I got my 30 inch two years ago, I really considered to bring it back but I got used to it very quickly and today I definitely can't imagine to use a smaller display ever again.

Anyhow, even the 30 inches become small. I added two 20 inch displays on the left and right. That should bridge the time until Apple releases a bigger display with a higher resolution.

6. milk242 macrumors 6502a

I also just got my 30" acd yesterday too! I agree it's amazing, I just like sitting and starin at it's wonders :p

7. clank72 thread starter macrumors regular

That's awesome. Has anyone tried to "carry" one of these things to the car? I had to walk 2 blocks and kept switching hands (and I'm a big guy). I almost brought a dolly but forgot. It does NOT look that heavy until you carry it nonstop. My hand is still sore today.

Yes -Transporteur- Very true. I think you need at least two of them.

8. duky macrumors 6502

This is exactly what I want but I'm just not sure about it. I'm thinking about selling my iMac and getting a MacBook Pro 15" to connect to a 30" because I really want a bigger display (but not dual) but I wonder if it's the right choice. I'm worried about them a) updating the 30" soon and about b) the lack of webcam/speaker connectivity on the display. But you've been loving it so far. Have you tried connecting your MBP to it?

9. illibball087 macrumors regular

ide wait til after Christmas to see if an update comes

10. Wehrwolf macrumors 6502

Wehrwolf

I just brought mine home tonight!

Stopped by the Apple Store in the PM after work and played around with both the 24" LED and 30". Opened up windows and applications and arranged them like I normally do as part of my workflow. As nice as the 24" is, it just doesn't compare with the 30" in terms of screen real estate. Plus, the glare on the 24" was actually more irritating than I thought it would be. And coming from a 20", the 30" is out of this world. Yay productivity!

I'm still in a bit of disbelief as what I've just done, but the proof is sitting on my desk.

11. Dreamail macrumors 6502

Exactly same here!
    I love it!

As good as my 23" ACD was - and I loved it too - the 30" is in a new class.
    Like moving from a studio flat to a 3 bedroom apartment. Suddenly there's room for everything and you don't know what you've been doing all these years on that tiny space.

And good thing the 30" ACD is not yet glossy. The design of the 24" is lovely, but the display surface is just too shiny. At least in comparison.

Unfortunately this has 2 drawbacks:
    1.) No laptop will ever be enough now. It will seem too tiny and crammed.
    Even the 17" MBP. And a 30" monitor on the go is not exactly portable...

2.) Where do we go from here?
    I don't like two monitors with a bezel splitting the image. But what's the next monitor up? That doesn't cost 3x-4x as much?
    I suppose 30" resolution it is going to be it for a while.

12. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I can still live with my 13" screen on my MBA. It's just more usage of spaces and lot more Command-Tabbing.

13. sparkie7 macrumors 68000

sparkie7

This is normal. Your eyes aren't fully adjusted to the size and scale of radioactive blast yet :p But after 2-3 weeks it will be back to normal and the 30" will feel like your 23". ie it wont feel so 'massive'. A 23" will just feel small. I have three 30 ACDs spanning and it rocks :D

14. Rampant.A.I. macrumors 6502a

Jealous! Really jealous. I have always loved Apple's external flat panel displays. :mad:

:p