Just Got My New Hi-Res 17" MBP-Now With Pics

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by continentalg5, Jun 14, 2007.

1. continentalg5 macrumors newbie

Yeah, so as of me writing this I have just received this thing like 5 minutes ago. I was sleeping, not expecting it to come until tomorrow (original delivery date) but I'm not bothered in the least bit that it came early! I promise I will take pictures of the the screen with a good camera! This is my 4th Mac and I will never switch back.

Apple has just been to good to me over the years. First computer was G4 iMac (swivel head), then came the mac mini, then the 24 inch iMac, and now this baby. I will post my impressions in it's speed vs. the 24 (because that is it's only competitor) after a few days of use.

If you haven't noticed I'm as giddy as a school girl, so just bare with me as the Apple juices begin to settle throughout my body.

2. opticalserenity macrumors 6502a

Congrats, This is the machine I'd really like, I'd love to see pictures of the screen filled with apps. Congrats.

3. dartzorichalcos macrumors 65816

dartzorichalcos

Congrats.:) You have a very nice mac. :) Post some pictures.

4. ldneil macrumors newbie

yep pics would b nice, im still waiting on the eact same model to be delivered :( thanks !

5. PimpDaddy macrumors 6502

Lucky you :). I'm waiting to get my 17'' Hi Rez 7200rpm too :D

Enjoy and please post pics :)

6. kentfrancisco macrumors member

kentfrancisco

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet.

I'll be joining you on June 18th, but some pictures would be lovely to get me through the weekend...

7. continentalg5 thread starter macrumors newbie

Will do, I just started to transfer my files now, so hopefully soon I will get the pictures up!

8. continentalg5 thread starter macrumors newbie

9. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Congrats, looks like you got the glossy screen?

10. kentfrancisco macrumors member

kentfrancisco

Nice! Thanks for posting these.

Have you checked out any of the 1080p trailers from apple.com? That's what really sold me on the high-res screen in the Apple store. Looks marvelous in full-screen mode.

So how do you compare the pixel-density to your 24" iMac?

11. continentalg5 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yep! Before I got it I was really concerned about the glossiness of the screen being almost like a mirror finish when on, and only being to see my reflection. But it really impressed me and I am thoroughly enjoying its quality.
    No, actually I haven't checked out any 1080p trailers yet, but trust me, I will! The screen itself looks fantastic! The contrast, sharpness, etc.. it's all there, but coming from the 24 inch iMac the brightness kinda lacks, mainly when you have them side by side like I do in the pictures. But if you have no other monitor reference it looks plenty bright. For anyone unsure about getting the High-Res display-DO IT

Although I wish that it could be that 15% brighter, but you also have to consider that it's a portable machine, not a desktop, so in that regard it's excellent IMO.

For anyone unsure about getting the High-Res display-DO IT. I couldn't be happier with my purchase and Apple has another fine product on their hands!

12. PimpDaddy macrumors 6502

Thanks for the pictures. Just made me look forward to getting mine even more :) .

13. macjonny1 macrumors 6502a

macjonny1

Yeah I'd be curious to how it compares to the 24". Almost bought that last fall but decided to wait for this one for the portability.

-wow....that 24" IS a beast!

14. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Good choice! :) I'm looking forward to a glossy hi-res myself. It does look very bright from your pictures. I should stop reading these reviews, they are getting me excited and I can't order mine just yet.

I have a few questions if you don't mind. Any dead pixels? Is the lid flush with the case? Are there any dark spots where the backlight isn't as bright (one of the reasons for the new LED panels)? Thanks!

15. continentalg5 thread starter macrumors newbie

Fortunately I have no dead pixels, that was by far my biggest fear. The lid is perfectly flush with the case and the backlighting is even (yet another fear while waiting for its arrival.) If my machine is any indication of Apple QC standards then my hat goes off to them! Does anyone want any specific pictures? I'll be happy to do it!

16. roblin macrumors regular

17. gkorsgard macrumors newbie

I got my new 17" hi-Res too! The 7200rpm hard drive is great, but the screen is awesome! Definitely a great choice. I tried the HD trailers. They look great.

18. continentalg5 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I couldn't stop watching those HD trailers from Apple, they're addicting. The quality of the screen is superb!

19. SheriffParker macrumors 6502a

SheriffParker

20. Atomic-Ed macrumors regular

That looks like a really nice machine. Congrats to you!

Great pix on this, what kind of camera did you use to take them?

Is it just me or did anyone else get nervous seeing that beauty hanging of the front edge of the desk like that or even the one with the can of coke way to close for comfort on the kitchen table :)

21. mccoy macrumors newbie

Thanks for picture, the new 17" Hi-res MBP looks amazing.:D

22. continentalg5 thread starter macrumors newbie

I used my Sony Alpha A100. It looked better when it was uncompressed by the uploading software though. Oh it was hanging over but never in any real danger, and the can of coke was empty! :D My baby would never be put in harms way.

23. BWhaler macrumors 68020

BWhaler

Congratulations. Mine is supposed to come tomorrow, but I am traveling so odds are no one will be here to sign for it.

Just hope I can get it by the weekend...and more importantly, that it is a high quality build. (I haven't been so lucky in the last 17" laptops I have purchased from Apple.)

24. continentalg5 thread starter macrumors newbie

Don't you have an option to pre sign for it?

25. Chris Bangle macrumors 6502a

Oh my goodnes... u have a 335i saloon. Ive been in a 335i coupe and it was mind blowingly quick. Felt so stable and quite at a very very fast speed. Its sooooo quick. same or infact probably faster 0-60 then our old carrera 4s. 5.7secs. You are soooo lucky.