just got my new imac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by splatterific, Jul 21, 2012.

1. splatterific macrumors member

hi everyone one !!! just picked up my imac 27 15 2.7. im in heaven. good bye pc.
    was wondering it came with 2x2gb sticks of ram. i would like to think i could benefit from more ram. running aperture, final cut pro typical apps and web. can i keep the 2x2gb cards and add 2x4gb sticks or do they all have o be matched sizes? that would make for 12gb of ram that should be sufficient? i dont think 16gb is really necessary. is there a difference in ram manufacturers? thanks everyone !!!!

2. Nandifix macrumors 6502

12gb will be fine for you. I would recommend crucial as I have used it before and never any issues!

3. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

Yes you can keep the 2x2 DIMM's already installed and add 2x4GB DIMM's for a total of 12GB which should be fine for your needs. If you want to upgrade to 16GB then simply remove the 2x2's and replace with another pair of 2x4's.

For vendors I'd recommend OWC first (www.macsales.com) or Crucial second. OWC because their service and support is great and they specialize in Mac products, finally their prices are extremely competitive.

4. fastlanephil macrumors 6502a

fastlanephil

Congratulations!

I bought the same one refurbished at the online Apple store last winter and it had two 4gb DiMMS already installed which is working fine for me right now.

The current iMacs do unofficially support and recognize up to 32gb of RAM if you ever need that much memory.

5. splatterific thread starter macrumors member

great info everyone thanks! 12gb it is then. 32gb i couldn't imagine what one would be up to needing that much.lol
    this thing is awesome though, loving it. allot to learn, ive been a xp user for the last 10 years at least.

6. jvmxtra macrumors 65816

jvmxtra

congrat!!! Welcome to imac 27 heaven which I think is one of the greatest pleasure of working on desk these days.

I currently have 12 gig(2 + 2 + 4 + 4).. I run 1 or 2 parallel at all time(one for work w/ vpn and one for windows 8).. and like anyone working on desktop, I have billion tabs open. It sometimes goes over 10 gig of memory usage. I am not even working on any photoshop or anything like that.. so I am thinking about replacing 2's w/ 8's(which was on slickdeals for $31 a pop).. W/ today's ever so becoming cheap price of ram.. I cannot imagine anyone limiting yourself.. I am gonna do 24 gig... Only thing it's gonna stop me will be the power of imac.. not memory..