Just got my new iPad and screen is great but...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by nph, May 27, 2012.

1. nph macrumors 6502a

It seems kind of warm/hot to me compared to my iPad 1.
    I have not run any kind of game/watched any movie so far. Just raised the screen brightness to 100% while checking the screen. Turned out to be perfect!
    Was really nervous about that one after all the reports here...

After 20 minutes it seems quite fast compared to my iPad1 but camera has not impressed so far.

Only concern I have is the heat. I am thinking about getting a full cover, similar to the Apple one for iPad 1 which I really liked. Maybe something with a hard back or not. Does it matter from a heat distribution point? I know I will feel better if I dont feel the heat all the time thanks to the case.

while I was writing this I turned the screen down to roughly 50% and it is already just a little warm on the back. So I guess I answered my own question that it is the screen brightness that drives the temperature generated, or?

Thanks

2. MaxxTraxx macrumors 6502

You do not have to worry about the temperature of the device. Sorry problems so far.

3. Chocolatemilty macrumors 6502a

I most definitely noticed this when playing with the new iPad in the Apple Store today while getting my iPad 1 changed out. It was unusually warm and while that may not be detrimental to the performance and longevity of the device, it was very uncomfortable to hold. This is something that either would have to be addressed with an accessory or something. I would love to have the new iPad later this year once I'm settled into graduate school, but holding a warm device for extended periods of time is a deal-breaker for me without anything to help dissipate or mask it.

4. Fattytail macrumors 6502a

This has been discussed to death on the forums. The issue is very simple. Put screen brightness at 100% and you get warm iPad. Adjust it to about 50% or lower (mine is usually around 40% and is plenty bright) and you get a cool running iPad.

The iPads in the store are all set at 100% brightness and are running constantly, which is why they'll be warm to the touch. My iPad never ever gets that warm.

5. Jackintosh macrumors 6502a

Jackintosh

Also setting auto brightness to "on" helps. It reduces heat and let's the iPad adjust appropriately to the light.

6. Fattytail macrumors 6502a

I actually keep mine off. Auto-brightness, regardless of the brand/device, tends to over-adjust in dim ambient light surroundings. And in bright ambient light, the screen gets unnecessarily cranked all the way up, which isn't all that helpful for these sorts of screens which get horrendously washed out in daylight.

7. iPhysicist macrumors 65816

iPhysicist

I'd like to add a question to this thread. Does anybody besides me has the feeling that the screen of the iPad 3rd gen is not as bright as the 2nd gen on max settings. I know about light and it's x^2 law but I thought my 2nd gen display was brighter on max settings. I have the feeling like it does not matter if I go 80 or 100 percent in settings (auto turned off). Did they change the algorithm?

8. r-sparks macrumors 6502

r-sparks

Is it a cellular model? Try turning off cellular when you're not using it (I.e. you're in the home using wifi). Mine gets warm when I use cellular out of the house.

9. iCrosoft macrumors regular

iCrosoft

10. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

What difference does it make? How bright do u need the screen to go? It seems perfectly adequate at full brightness unless you live in a hole somewhere.
    Another pointless thread.....

11. Abarth1200 macrumors regular

The entire back of the ipad is a heatsink, drawing heat away from the batteries. Simple end of. I for one would rather feel the heat than wonder where its all going.

12. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

I think you figured out (and it doesn't take a genius) that heat is related to brightness, so turn it down to 50% or there abouts and this will reduce the heat...simple no? Hardly deserves another thread on this matter when there are already so many...use the forum search, it's your friend!

13. iPhysicist macrumors 65816

iPhysicist

It does matter to me because I use it outside and sometimes in direct sunlight :)

14. Jackintosh, May 28, 2012
    Last edited: May 28, 2012

Jackintosh macrumors 6502a

Jackintosh

That's interesting. My auto brightness doesn't over adjust at all, but actually undercompensates slightly based on the ambient light. Hope yours isn't defective, as mine does exactly what I'd expect it to do. If I'd leave it off, the display would be way too bright for my tastes. My setting is 50%.

15. ZipZap macrumors 603

Well then you would know the heat is not coming from the display but from the GPU which will get hot regardless of the brightness.

I am not saying that brighness is not a contributing factor...but its a minor one.

16. henriknorem macrumors member

The displays models are charging, that's why they get warm ;)