just got my new MBP 15, got a few questions/thoughts

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lgfaver, Jun 11, 2011.

1. lgfaver macrumors member

first of all i am in love with this new laptop, it's sexy as hell.
    second, i've only had it for 24 hours and im almost already used to the OS(been a pc user all my life).
    now, on to the questions(some concerns).

youtube video playback on Safari seems very flawed, i get this flicker thingy @ the bottom of the screen. Also, when i start moving the mouse the dock i can see that it affects the playback, as it gets all laggy. This doesn't happen when im on Chrome. is this normal ?

when i go to fullscreen mode on youtube or veetle, i get this black bars on the top and the bottom of the screen. the ratio isn't altered at all though, but this never used to happen with my vaio or any other laptop i used before. i am talking about widescreen vids btw.is there a way to fix this?

i like the sleep functionality, this is almost standard in every laptop now a days but i used to be able to close the lid on my vaio and configure it so that it would remain running. this was extremely helpful when i'd hook it up to my 50 inch flat screen.

the keyboard.... there's obviously nothing i can do about this, so it's more of a comment more than anything. it's freakin' small and the keys are stacked to close to each other. I guess i'll just have to get used to it. but yeah... it's like this was made with 13 yr girls hands in mind.

what can i use to clean this baby up? i use to just use a nice soft piece of cloth and windex for my vaio screen and the body rarely got dirty cos i take good care of my stuff. Can the same treatment be applied for this MBP?

2. jason221 macrumors 6502

The flickering thing with YouTube playback does not sound normal to me.

As far as the black bars on fullscreen mode, those won't go away. Widescreen videos have a 16:9 ratio, and the MBP's screen is a 16:10 ratio.

3. scrapple macrumors regular

scrapple

hmm

Download firefox... its much better than safari.

Download Perian (video codecs).

Make sure your running latest flash version.

4. stefmesman macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; nl-nl) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

For the sleep thing. Download caffaine from the app store. Its free. Get perian and the latest flashdrivers. Also try chrome browser

5. cloroxbleach4 macrumors 6502a

cloroxbleach4

You can put your MBP in clamshell mode that will allow you to keep the computer running when closed. All you do is just hook it up to the TV and close the lid.

6. stefmesman macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; nl-nl) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

For the sleep thing. Download caffaine from the app store. Its free.

7. lgfaver thread starter macrumors member

this is weird, safari has somehow stopped the laggy playback and it's not working better.
    i had already downloaded the latest flash update.

As for clamshell mode, how the heck do i do that?
    sorry, but like i said, i am a brand new mac user. im just learning how to navigate through this os.

8. cloroxbleach4 macrumors 6502a

cloroxbleach4

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3131

That'll help you with clamshell mode.

9. lgfaver thread starter macrumors member

what about how to clean the screen...

btw thanks a lot for all the help everyone :)

10. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Belt sander...

;)

okay, okay - I use iKlear. Works really well and doesn't leave greasy marks :D

By the way, you'll get used to the keyboard. PC laptop keyboards feel clunky to me by comparison these days.

11. MacsOnAnabolics macrumors regular

MacsOnAnabolics

Caffeine ;)